#11 Feels Good To be Reunited

vcl-1807 and anon, thank you so much for your requests! Both requests compliment each other so I though I might as well make one story out of it! I hope you two don't mind

Again thank you for the request and please enjoy the story =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dad: Hey kiddo, work runs out late so I won't be back on time. Dinner’s in the fridge, you just have to warm it up

You think back bitterly on the text message you received from your dad. Since the raising crime rates, he’s been consumed by work, leaving you to vent for yourself frequently, or rather, constant at this point. He always says he has more paperwork, more patrols, leaving him with little time to be home and actually spend time with you. 

You miss the moments you two used to have together, movie nights spend on a mattress made of pillows and blankets on the living room floor, him teaching you how to play cards and you beating his ass the first try, spending the night on the couch when he had a difficult patrol, too tired to drag himself to bed, so he let you talk about your day, silently listening, while slowly dozing off. 

It made you sad when he had less and less time to be around, even to the point that asking you about your day isn't even a daily thing anymore. Over time you started to bottle this sadness up, you understood that what he did was good, he is always helping people and teaching his students, but the thought that his work is so important to him that he seems to choose it over you is just…..it hurts. 

The only time you really get to see him is at the dinner table. It’s like you two made a silent promise to always be there at dinner time, he never misses no matter how busy he is. Even if dinner is cut short, he is always there. And now….it seems like even showing up for food in his own house takes to much time. It’s infuriating! It is-!

Click

The front door opens to reveal the man, dropping his work at the door as he rushes to his office, passing by the couch without as much as a glance, before he disappears into the room, later coming out with another stack of files and documents propped under his arm. When he passes by the couch again he gives you a glance, also minding the barely touched microwave dinner he left for you. “Hey kiddo, why’d you not finish eating. Its-” he bats a quick glance to his watch. “-almost 8.”

You huff, rolling your eyes as you turn your back to him and continue scrolling through your phone, “It tastes shitty.”

“It is edible.” He replies agitated, “You're old enough to not be picky about dinner.”

You turn around again as you answer him, “It’s not like you had the time to eat this crap yourself. And even if you did, i’m sure you’re still full from the paperwork you seem to consume constantly.” 

Aizawa closes his eyes, and you see him take a deep breath before replying to you, sounding more frustrated then he probably meant to, “Yes, I do have a lot of paperwork. As a homeroom teacher for the hero course, the students need me to-”

“I need you!-” You say, jumping up from the couch and pointing at him furiously. “I need you to be around. I need you to be there for me. I need you to care about me! Does your work mean so much to you, that you can't even spare a minute of your day on being home. You're never around! It's like you don't even live here anymore!” Your eyes overflow, spilling those bottled up emotions through the tears that follow. "I know your work means a lot to you, but you forget everything else while you're working. I have barely seen you these past few weeks. And I just-… I miss you, dad."

You look at him and see his breathing has hitched, his eyes wide as he looks at you, shocked. He seems at a loss for words, a loss for breath, but to you it felt like you could finally breathe, now that the lump in your throat is gone, the top of the bottle is opened so all frustration and sadness could spill in the form of words. You felt better, but-

You see tears forming in his eyes after the realisation hit him. He quickly made his way towards you, pulling you into his arms, before the first tears even had a chance to fall. He holds you in a firm, but delicate hold, knowing that he slowly drifted away from you, but is now too afraid to lose you for good. “I am so sorry, so sorry. You’re right, I should have been here for you. I've been a shitty father and-”

“-That’s probably why the food tasted shitty too.” 

You both laugh at that, feeling the tension between you two falter a little. You both smile as your dad says, “Yeah, probably.” before he pulls back. “How about I cancel hero work for this weekend and we spend some time together?”

You feel tears welling up in your eyes again, this time tears of joy, as you answer, “I’d like that.”

“Hey, I thought we were done with the waterworks.” He says jokingly as he wipes your tears away, then pulls you in for one last hug.

You sigh, relieved to have your dad back in your life again, 

It feels good to be reunited.