Chapter-25 Harry Potter Found Again

The wizarding world was buzzing with the news that Harry Potter had been found. Daily Prophet reporters were hounding any Ministry official they could find for news about the teen hero. Was it true that he had been found living on the streets? Was it true that he was on the verge of death? What was the Ministry going to do with the boy? Was he going to return to Hogwarts? Was it true that people were offering to pay for the privilege of fostering the boy until he was of age?

When Rita Skeeter suggested in her column that Harry Potter might be at St. Mungo's, the hospital found itself flooded with wizards who insisted that they be allowed to see the boy and thank him personally for defeating You Know Who. They seemed to believe that, if they just explained to Harry that they were truly grateful, Harry would be happy to return to the wizarding world. Buried under the onslaught of wizards who were camping out in waiting rooms, the hospital administration begged the Ministry for extra security to help control the crowds.

There were so many flowers and balloons sent by well-wishers, the hospital had to hire extra help to cart them away to share with other patients. Even within the hospital, there was trouble maintaining control. Hospital staff from other wards were caught trying to sneak into Harry's room for a glimpse of the famous wizard.

Dumbledore, on the other hand, forced himself to stay away from the hospital. While he desperately wanted to visit Harry himself, he knew he would not be welcome. And, as much as he greatly wished to express his regrets to Harry once again, he was wise enough to know that Harry was not ready to be receptive to his apologies. His presence would only hinder the medical evaluation, so he forced himself to be content with the knowledge that at least Harry was in the hands of the best Healers in the wizarding world.

Scrimgeour made the mistake of visiting Harry the day after the boy arrived at St. Mungo's. The Minister had wanted to be the first to welcome the little hero back but was unprepared for the hostile reception he received.

"Harry?" The boy had been napping, but, at the sound of his name, he opened his eyes and blinked blearily at the face hovering above him. Reaching over, Harry grabbed for his glasses, which were sitting on the table next to his bed and put them on. It was the Minister. Harry recognized him from some of Voldemort's memories. Harry also remembered that he had been present at the final battle, sitting next to Dumbledore at the staff table.

Harry hastily sat up in the bed. The Minister was wearing an overly hearty smile and was holding out his hand to shake Harry's. Harry glared at the man, and the Minister let his hand drop to his side. "Harry!" He began what was obviously a prepared speech. "Let me be the first to welcome you back to the wizarding world. I want to thank you both personally and as Minister for defeating You Know Who. We can hardly convey the depths of our gratitude…"

Harry cut him off. "You can start by letting me go," he said through gritted teeth.

The interruption threw Scrimgeour for a brief moment. Then he continued as if Harry had not spoken. "You will be awarded a special citation and the Wizengamot has declared that the day you defeated You Know Who will be henceforth known as Harry Potter Day!"

Harry snorted. "You've got to be kidding!"

Scrimgeour pressed on. "We look forward to your taking your rightful place in our world…"

"I want to leave!" insisted Harry.

The Minister hesitated and then said, "All in good time, Harry. All in good time. We just want to make sure that you are well."