Chapter-33 Summer Arrives

"You're going to have to stop doing such amazing heroics, Harry, if you don't want to be in the paper so often," advised Hermione.

Hermione had just finished reading the Daily Prophet's article recounting yesterday's Harry's rescue of Nathaniel Thorpe and Bellatrix Lestrange's death.

Harry ignored her. He gave a small wave to Nathaniel, who was waving at him from the Hufflepuff table. While the students eagerly devoured the story in the Daily Prophet, they had already heard about yesterday's events from Nathaniel himself. Harry was relieved that the younger boy had the sense to keep some matters private; Nathaniel hadn't shared with anyone Harry's confession about the memory he had been forced to relive in the cave.

Ron took a bite a toast and, speaking with his mouth full, asked, "Do you want to practice some Quidditch today? The weather's going to be nice."

Harry looked glum. "Can't. Have detention."

"Detention? Since when? How come?"

"Since last night. Once Snape was sure that the potion I drank wasn't going to have any lasting effects on me, he decided I needed to be taught a lesson. He gave me two weeks' worth of detention. If it's anything like last time, I'll be washing cauldrons without magic."

"What a git!" uttered Ron loyally.

"Ron!" scolded Hermione. But she turned to Harry and asked, "But, why is Snape giving you detention? I don't understand."

"He said that I left Hogsmeade yesterday knowing that he wouldn't have wanted me to go. He said that I have to stop acting without thinking. In his words, 'You need some more Slytherin in you, Potter. You are entirely too Gryffindor and I will break you of this habit, before it kills you.'"

"What did he want you to do?" asked Ron. "Let Thorpe die?"

"No. He said that I'm not the only one in the world who can save people. He said that Dumbledore would have been able to rescue Thorpe if I had just told Dumbledore where the cave was."

"Oh," said Ron.

Harry continued. "Anyway, Snape says that at least when I'm in detention, he knows where I am. He told me that if something like this happens again, I'll be in detention until the indenture is over."

Hermione looked sympathetic but Ron just tsked. "Well, that's no worry, then. How likely is it that a crazy Death Eater will escape from Azkaban and try to kill you?"

There was a silence for a minute and then Ron said, "Actually, Harry, maybe you had better slow down and think next time."

Harry just grinned.

The school term drew to a close. Harry did well on his exams. In some, like Transfiguration, he was so advanced that the test was just a formality. Draco's exam was the hardest. Harry couldn't believe how much there was to learn about wizarding rules and protocol. In addition to the written exam, Draco forced Harry to attend a formal dinner meeting. It was torture but Harry acquitted himself well enough for Draco to award him an "A" – Acceptable.

Sadly, Harry waved goodbye to his friends for the summer. He resigned himself to a boring summer. He would be staying at Hogwarts for another week, although the school was empty of students. Then, he would be accompanying Snape to the potion master's home for the summer. Snape had already made clear that he expected Harry to keep up with his studies during the summer.