Chapter-28 Attracting Attention

The Great Hall was packed for lunch. By now, there wasn't anyone in the castle, living or dead, who hadn't heard that Harry Potter was there. People who had skipped breakfast were furious with themselves for having had the misfortune to miss his arrival. No one planned on missing lunchtime.

When Harry entered the Great Hall, everyone was already there and all eyes were on the entrance, waiting to see him when he arrived. There was a sudden hush when he appeared. He hesitated in the entry way. He wasn't quite sure what to do.

He had just come from Snape's class, where he had realized just what it meant to be under an indenture. He had learned the astonishing news that Snape – Snape! – had been in love with his mother. And, he had realized how closely he resembled his father, except for his green eyes, and his famous scar.

Now, with every eye on him, he felt exposed and raw. Were they trying to see his scar? Were they aware of his indenture? He should have given lunch a skip and hidden out in his dormitory room.

Coward! he called himself. Snape had said that his mother was strong. He had said that his mother would have been proud of him.

Holding his head high, Harry forced himself to walk with steady steps to the Gryffindor table. There was silence until he had seated himself and then a slow building hum as people started talking around him. It was disconcerting to realize that he was the topic of most conversations.

Ron smiled wryly. "That was some entrance."

"I wish people would stop staring," Harry muttered.

"They will eventually. Just give them a few days," encouraged Hermione

Harry looked awkwardly at his friends. "I want to apologize for what happened in potions class," he began.

"Yeah!" Ron frowned, remembering his annoyance. "What was that all about?"

"It was..." Harry hesitated. He wasn't sure how to explain.

Luckily, Hermione saved him from trying to find the words. "Was it because of the indenture?" she asked sympathetically.

"Oh, you know about that?" asked Harry. He lowered his eyes to his plate and pretended that he found his peas vastly interesting.

"I thought that might be the reason," she continued. "Snape told the class to do the assignment. But, for you, that was an order."

"Do you mean that Snape is the one Harry is indentured to?" asked Ron scandalized.

"Shh!" cautioned Harry. He was aware that other people were trying to listen to their conversation. He knew that everyone would shortly learn about his indenture anyway, but he preferred to delay that moment for as long as possible.

Hermione nodded her head. "I realized as soon as Snape entered the classroom and Harry stood up."

Ron looked appalled. "Snape! That's bloody awful!"

Ron's horrified expression made Harry want to laugh. "That's not the way to make me feel better, Ron!"

The other boy immediately looked repentant. "I…I didn't mean…I'm sure Snape will be fine," he tried to recover. But, despite his words, it was clear that Ron had no expectation that Snape would be fine.