Chapter-32 Bellatrix's Revenge

The weeks and months passed. There was no sign of Bellatrix Lestrange but Harry was sure that the woman was just biding her time. Snape must have felt the same because Harry remained confined to the Hogwarts grounds.

The days fell into a pattern and Harry had little time to worry about the escaped Death Eater. Second semester midterm exams were approaching and he spent hours studying in the common room with his friends. Actually, Harry spent very little of the time studying on his own behalf. Most of his free time, he spent tutoring a number of his fellow students (particularly Neville).

It was a warm April day when Bellatrix finally made her move. As bold as ever, she walked straight into Hogsmeade and announced to everyone that she was there. She waited patiently until Ministry Aurors tried to surround her and then set an invisible barrier around herself. They were unable to reach her and she cackled madly inside her self-imposed prison.

Holding up a vial of clear potion, she waved the flask and taunted, "Get Harry Potter here. I will tell him, and only him, where I have hidden Nathaniel Thorpe."

The Aurors, and those brave onlookers who had crept close enough to hear her, exchanged puzzled looks. Who in the world was Nathaniel Thorpe?

"Get him!" Bellatrix demanded loudly. "I am never returning to Azkaban. If I swallow this poison before he gets here," she waved her flask again, "I will take my secret to the grave."

The Aurors whispered among themselves and one was sent to fetch Dumbledore. The headmaster came at once to Hogsmeade where he cautiously approached the trapped woman. "Stop!" she called. She held the flask up to her lips. "Come any closer and I'll swallow this!"

Dumbledore halted and watched her with narrowed eyes. She smiled happily and gave a peel of laughter. "Have you discovered yet who Nathaniel Thorpe is?"

"He is a second year student at the school. No one has seen him since early this morning. What possible interest in Mr. Thorpe could you have?"

Bellatrix laughed dismissively. "I have no interest in the boy! I simply waited until a student passed close to the Forbidden Forest. He wandered near me and I took him. He is now in a place known only to me. If you wish ever to see him alive again, I want to speak with Harry Potter!"

Dumbledore turned considering eyes upon Bellatrix. The woman stood in her invisible bubble, with a wild look in her eyes. She was dirty and unkempt; she looked as if she had not bathed in months.

"I will let you speak with Harry Potter," Dumbledore said finally. His voice was low. "But, if your plan is to swap Harry for Nathaniel, I will tell you now that I will not permit it."

Bellatrix just laughed more wildly.

Dumbledore returned a short time later with Harry and Snape. Snape had reluctantly agreed to lift his restriction against Harry's leaving the Hogwarts grounds.

Harry took a step nearer to Bellatrix, and gripped his wand tightly in his hands. The woman had stopped laughing when Harry had appeared. Her eyes burned with an unholy light when she saw him and hate filled her face. "There he stands! The boy who killed the greatest wizard of them all!" she spat.

Harry ignored her and asked, "Where is Nathaniel Thorpe? You said you would tell me."

She curled her lip at him. "Do you know the boy, Potter?"