Chapter 5

The day after, I still couldn’t figure out what exactly Zachariah’s words meant. When I asked him to elaborate, he ignored me and asked if he could drink from me. I refused even though he persisted. Eventually, he gave up, but he told me that I was lucky.

That was all he left me with.

Zachariah admitted ever since the beginning that my blood smelled appetizing to him. But never had he ever called it “sweet” before. Just what exactly did he mean?

After we came back home yesterday as well, I began to feel better almost immediately. And after a small drink of blood from a human a few towns away, my nausea left me.

But I soon forgot all of that since my attention focused solely on Giovanni. From a distance, I saw him walking towards me with a group of his werewolves. Actually, more like two.

Cole accompanied Giovanni—like I expected—but the extra werewolf was…Mickey Myster.

When the two of us made eye contact, a languid smile spread across his lips.

I scowled, but quickly replaced it with a smile when Giovanni stood before me. He looked down at me with worry.

“You’re feeling well?” he asked.

“I’m fine.” My smile widened reassuringly.

“Only two?” Abraham motioned towards the beta and Mickey. “You sure about this, werewolf?”

Giovanni looked over his shoulder at his guards. “Truthfully, more members wanted to accompany me, but bringing a lot would make it seem as if I didn’t trust your people, right? I’m sure I’ll be safe.”

“Of course you will.” I slipped my hand into the crook of his arm.

“I don’t believe we’ve met.” Ji-Sun kindly spoke to Mickey.

He still had the same lazy smile on his lips as he directed his gaze towards Ji-Sun. “My name is Mickey Myster. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.”

“Nice to meet you as well.” Abraham spoke for the rest of the vampires, except me. I hadn’t wanted to see him again, but he apparently had other ideas.

Neither Mickey nor Cole mentioned the fact that Mickey and I already met. I don’t know if Cole informed his alpha of the information either or not, but I decided to not bring it up. I still couldn’t understand why I reacted the way I did, but I wouldn’t be able to forget it even if I wanted to.

There was something about Mickey Myster that was strange. What?—I didn’t know.

“Should we go?” I said and Giovanni nodded before we began our walk back to my territory.

“And what do you have planned for me today?” Gio asked.

I glanced at him through my sunglasses. “We’ll be staying indoors most of the time. Today’s a bright day and it’s unsafe for us vampires. Many of my followers will be indoors as well. There won’t be anyone spitting on your trail.”

Giovanni chuckled. “Should I expect that to happen?”

“No.” I lightly answered. “Not if they know what’s good for them.”

“Lydia gave our people a…warning about what would happen if they did anything rude to you or your guards.” Ji-Sun laughed softly. “They won’t do anything to disrespect you.”

“I’m sure we’ll be able to handle anything thrown at us.” Cole spoke in a nonchalant tone.

As we continued to walk and chatter, I felt a sudden jab at the back of my head. I clenched my teeth and resisted the urge to turn my head and confirm as to who it was staring a hole into my skull.