Chapter 11

This chapter is dedicated to NikkiDee. You've been supporting this story since the start and I just wanted to give thanks! Besides, your comments always make me laugh, lol. xD <3 

>>>>>>>>>>

Giovanni and I ended the soiree early. Giovanni wanted to be with Camilla in private while I wanted to get away from Mickey.

I did notice that the hostility between vampires and werewolves in the ballroom had disappeared. But it was only replaced with shock and a slow walk to reality. I didn’t blame them. Even I was still overwhelmed from the situation.

However, I needed to continue my duty. If the Elders wanted me to marry Mickey instead of Giovanni, then that would be what I’d do—even if he was an infuriating mate who wanted nothing more to do with me than fulfill the Elders’ request with.

If he was going to be that way, it was best not to get an attachment to him—mate or not. After all, Javier was apparently making a reappearance into my life for whatever reason. I don’t think the Elders would have a reason to lie to me either, so I anticipated his arrival.

At the moment, I was taking a soothing bath. It was past midnight, and everyone had gone back to their territories during the aftershock. I just needed a good night’s rest and I would be back to my usual self.

Even Underworlders needed their sleep on occasion.

When I finished my bath, I stepped out and into my bedroom. Again, a sense of déjà vu passed through me when I saw a figure sitting on my bed. My heart thundered in my chest until I realized who it was.

It wasn’t Mickey.

“Javier?” I whispered the name breathlessly.

When the twins said he would be back soon, they meant soon.

He looked up and I saw his face more clearly. His appearance looked the exact same as it did thirty years ago. Javier’s brown hair brushed across his forehead and his enchanting green eyes met my gaze. However, his chiseled features held grim expressions.

“Lydia.” He sighed my name and I waited for the shiver of pleasure to dance up my spine.

It didn’t.

Javier didn’t catch my confused and surprised expression before he pulled me into a hug. His warmth embraced me and I immediately hugged him back. However, a sense of love didn’t surround me. Instead, it was just familiarity and affection.

Just as quickly as he embraced me, Javier pulled back with a worried look on his face.

“Oh, Lydia. I didn’t mean for this to cause a misunderstanding. I’m sorry.” He quickly said. “I didn’t come here to patch up what we had. God, I shouldn’t have hugged you in the first place.”

I smiled softly and he stiffened. “It’s okay, Javier. I understand. Don’t worry. I didn’t misunderstand anything. I’m just glad to see you.”

Relief flashed across his face before he sighed. “Thank you. And I’m glad to see you as well.”

“And so?” I said. “What are you doing here?”

The two of us pulled back, but we continued to hold hands. Javier fiddled with my fingers.

“I need your help, Lydia. I need you to help patch up my marriage with Octavia.”

I blinked at him in surprise. “I didn’t know it was going so well in the first place.”

Javier looked bashful as he said, “It just happened. We fell in love as if it was the most natural thing to do.”