Comforting Warmth

•E/C: Eye Color
•Y/N: Your Name

Author's POV:

Light sniffles escape a hooded figure as trembling hands adjust the placement of their round, orange-tinted sunglasses. Their sneakers make little sound against the pavement in comparison to some of the other feet of the surrounding people as the female approaches a familiar cafe that she quickly enters to avoid being outside any longer. Her head hangs low with loose strands of hair framing her nervous face to keep the expression hidden from those around her. Her eyes dart to the figure standing behind the register, who wears a simple, black outfit with a green apron. A feeling of slight relief washes over her when she spots Richard taking care of the long line of customers ahead of her.

Y/N felt like she was taking a great risk coming out here, but she had been hidden away in her auntie's house for far too long to the point where she became restless, and, after hearing that dreadful news last night, she just had to confide in someone, anyone. Her stomach seemingly twists at the recollection of what happened. The officer on her case was murdered along with his wife and unborn child in the most gruesome manner yet. It terrifies her knowing the culprit isn't afraid to attack the police. To her, that meant no one could keep her safe from this horrible person.

She could only hope that he'll be caught sooner rather than later. Being around large crowds of people helped her paranoia some, knowing that the murderer likely won't be stupid enough to kill her in front of so many witnesses in broad daylight, but she wouldn't ever let her guard down while she was out. The closer she gets with each step towards the counter, the more she feels like bursting into tears. It was difficult to maintain composure when she finally reached the end of the line.

"How may I help you?" Rich asks in a clearly forced, cheery tone, but the girl can't bring herself to voice a response; instead she lowers her glasses and lifts her head to reveal her reddened, E/C orbs to the man, whose own eyes widen in shock. It was very clear to him that she had been crying. His brown orbs soften at the teen as he offers a sincere, welcoming smile. "Hello, rose girl."

"I-Is it all right if w-we talk?" The frightened girl mutters in a wavering tone that told just how badly she wished to break down and cry. The blonde nods his head, his fingers twitching beneath the counter due to his desire to scoop her up into his arms and squeeze her tightly while whispering loving words in her ears to make her feel better. He couldn't do that here, though, much to his dismay. There are too many eyes in the place, and she'd likely find the action strange or embarrassing.

"Why don't you have a seat? I have my break in a few minutes. You won't have to wait long."

The girl gives a barely noticeable nod before putting the glasses back over her eyes and wandering over to sit in a booth near the back corner of the cafe. After situating herself, Y/N lifts her sunglasses some to wipe her eyes before letting them fall back into place. As she waits, she distracts herself with the black strings of her white hoodie until a cup of coffee is set in front of her along with a banana nut muffin. She lifts her gaze to view the male sitting across from her, who greets her with a kind smile.

"What's this?" She asks, surprised he gave her the food and drink when she didn't order anything.

"It's my treat, Y/N." Richard laces his fingers together before resting his chin on top of them, his smile disappearing. "Why are you hiding your face?" Without warning, he reaches over the table to take off her sunglasses, but before he could touch them, she flinches back and holds them against her face.

"I-I don't want anyone to know I'm out here," she whispers while looking down.

"Are you scared?" He asks in a low tone. She answers with a nod.