Chapter Three

I get back to the room after my classes are over. I unlock the door and walk in, and Charli is asleep on her bed.

I plop my backpack down on my desk quietly and hop onto my bed. I start thinking about how I haven't talked to my mom since I landed. I need to tell her how everything is going.

​I pull out my phone, and scroll down to find my mom's name, and I click on it. She picks up on the second ring.

​"Oh my gosh, I miss you!" She answers.

I laugh under my breath, ​"I miss you too." I whisper, trying not to wake Charli. "I was just calling to tell you about my first day," I continue.

​"Yes! How'd it go? Did you make any new friends? Have you seen any cute boys? How's Charli? Do your classes seem hard?" she asks rapidly.

​I can tell she's excited. We both let out pretty good laughs as she realizes all her questions are a little overwhelming, but I don't mind. I proceed to tell her about my classes and the girl I met in history. I brush off any questions or comments about boys because the only slight encounter that I've had with one so far was that guy in my history class, Harry. And I don't even think that counts.

I ignore my thoughts about it as I continue to tell my mom about my classes, my professors, and what my schedule looks like.

​"Well, everything sounds like you're off to a good start, honey! I'm so proud and excited for you." She says and I know she's smiling.

​I can tell a slight change in her voice as she continues.
​"Has your dad reached out, yet?"

​"Hell no. Why would he?" I ask, waking up Charli. She sits up to listen to my conversation, knowing I'm talking to my mom.

Why would she possibly think I'd hear from my dad?

​"I told him you were going to school there. In case he wanted to see you." She answers.

I can't tell if it upsets me that she gave that decision to him, or that she did it without telling me.

"What's she saying?" Charli whispers, focusing on my words.

"You're kidding, right?" I ask, bluntly.

"I'm sorry if you didn't want me to, honey. I just figured he might want to reach out."

"It's fine, mom. I have to go. Say hi to Beck for me. Love you." she says she loves me too and I hang up. She could tell I was upset. I wonder if she told my sister, Beck that they spoke. I'm not sure if I even wanted my dad to know that I'm here, and she told him anyway. Ugh.

"Dude, what happened?" Charli asks as I hop down from my bed and start pacing the room.

"Mom told my dad that I was here. Like going to school and living here." I'm still heated.

"No way." She feels bad.

"Exactly

"Exactly. I'm pissed."

"Why would she do that?" She asks.

"I honestly have no freaking clue. Like I don't even know if I'd speak to him." I climb back onto bed.

"Well, let him reach out. And then you decide." She states.

"You're right."

"Well, let's change the subject. Get your mind off of it. How was your first day?"

I take a deep breath to clear my mind.

"Well, I actually made a new friend," I laugh and so does she.
"Her name is Nic, she seems pretty cool. She wanted my number so we could hangout and go to parties with her friends."

"Dude I am so proud of you!" She lightly claps.
"I met someone too." She says.

"He's a super cute guy in one of my classes. His name is Zayn and he's so funny! I gave him my number and he said the same thing about parties and stuff!" She exclaims.

"That's awesome. Look at us!" I laugh.

"Right? I'm already excited for tomorrow."

​Charli and I order pizza and flip through channels on our TV until we're ready to go to sleep. I go to the bathroom and take a quick shower to wash the day off my body.

I turn the water off and grab my towel. I check my phone and open a text from a number that I don't have saved and it reads,
"Hey girl, it's Nic. Wanna meet for coffee before History in the AM?"

"Sure. Sounds great. Where?" I respond, trying not to sound too excited.

"Coffee and Bagels right outside the H building." She replies and I send the thumbs up emoji.

​I blow dry my hair quickly and walk out of the bathroom. Trying not to think too much about History tomorrow or if Nic's two mysterious guy friends will sit with us. I haven't been able to stop replaying the light-eyed one's face in my head.

Charli is already asleep when I get in my bed, and ​I can feel my eyelids getting heavy. I curl up under my comforter, set 4 alarms, and fall fast asleep.