Chapter Ten

The water is warm, and the sand beneath my feet feels like mush. I start boogie boarding with the group. Despite Ren's disgusted look on her face that Nic and Niall are including me.

We spend hours out here, the lifeguard changes the flag from green to yellow and packs up his stuff, leaving for the day.

Niall is trying to bet me that I can't stand up on the boogie board.

"Oh, yes I can." I argue, splashing him. I look to Nic for reassurance that I'm not crossing any lines by being friendly with him. She's laughing and splashes me. Which makes me feel better.

I lay across the boogie board, stomach down, and sit up to wear my legs are straddling each side. I could barely touch the ocean floor where were, so if I could've gotten my feet on the ground, it would've made this bet easy to win. But I put one foot up at a time, the water hasn't been very calm at all, which doesn't help. But my competitive side wants to prove I can win this silly little bet. The foam is definitely not made to stand on, but I get up, using every ounce of balance I have.

"HA! I did it! I knew it!" I exclaim. Nic and Niall are clapping.

"I wanna try!" Nic says, grabbing a board and moving away from my area just a little, I'm guessing to have more room. While Niall is helping her, I'm standing there, shockingly balanced and keeping my arms somewhat outward to hold my position. I look back to where our setup is, and I see Harry pull move his long hair off of his shoulder and spray sunscreen on his arms. His skin has a light tint of pink from the sun, and this is the first time I've noticed how lean he is. He's not stout at all, but I can see his slight muscular tone, especially the way the spray adds a shine to his skin. I never realized how good he looks when he's not constricted by his leather jacket.

He meets my eyes. I see him jump a little, trying to yell something.

Before I knew it, a huge wave comes crashing, taking me down with it. I'm sucked under, and I feel the sharp waters split the foam board in two. I try to find the ocean floor with my arms so I push myself back up, no luck. A second wave pulls me out deeper, I can feel the current getting stronger. One more wave comes, smaller than the last two, but enough to keep me under for a little too long. I'm trying not to panic, scrambling to find the water's surface.

I'm losing the breath that I'm holding. I black out.

I feel two hands. One plugging my nose, and the other holding my chin. Then I feel lips, breathing air back into my lungs. Soft and firm all at the same time.

I begin to cough, spewing water up and out of my throat, I sit up immediately, opening my eyes. Harry is kneeling next to me. His hand gripping the back of my neck and the other turning my cheek to face him.

"You're gonna be okay." He breathes. His hair wavy hair sopping wet and falling into his face.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" Nic screeches and bends down to hug me.

"I'm so sorry, Hollis. I shouldn't have ever tried to get you to do that. I knew the waves were bad, I'm so so sorry." Niall pleads.

"No," I begin, trying to catch the breathe that was drowned out of me. "I'm sorry."

"What the hell are you sorry for?" Harry's accent answers for my apology to Niall.

"Breaking the board." I joke. I have most of my breath back. They all start laughing.

"I'm glad you're okay." Nic slightly pushes my shoulder.

Harry is still holding onto my neck. His lips were on yours. My heart starts pounding as I remember his full lips pressing against mine, when I look to him,