Found

"Get up! You've slept long enough! Up! Get out the door now!"

Link was woken up by his dad yelling at him, and pulling his blankets off. "Fine, fine, I'm getting up."
"About time, you lazy shit! Get dressed and leave this house!" "Okay, got it."

He quickly got out of the bed and walked over to his dresser. He grabbed a shirt and jeans and hurriedly put them on. He grabbed a jacket and put that on, than he picked up his bag and ran downstairs to the kitchen. Before he could grab something to eat, though, his dad grabbed him by the shoulder and hit him across the face, hard. Really hard. "I said, get out of my house!"

He dragged Link to the door and shoved him out before slamming the door behind him. He rubbed his face where it had been hit and quickly walked away. He wanted to get away from this damned place as fast as possible.

As he walked, and car flew by, and he caught a glimpse of a face looking out of the backseat window. It seemed to be a girl with blonde hair. Maybe it was Zelda. She probably had it better off than he did, despite how shitty the car looked.

When he finally got to school, he found Sean and started talking to him. "Hey. How you doing?" "I'm doing good. It doesn't look like you've been doing that good. You've got a giant bruise on your face." "I do? Dammit." He rubbed it gently for a moment before changing the subject. "Anyways, I saw a shitty car going way over the speed limit in my neighborhood. You'll never guess who I think I saw in it." "Really? Who was it?" "I'm not sure if it was her, but I think I saw Zelda. It's perfect joke material." "Wow. You're right, that is perfect. Y'know, I always assumed she was relatively rich. How shitty was the car?" "Very. It looked cheap, and it didn't look well cared for at all. It was filthy, too "

The two boys walked to their first class together, laughing.

When they got to the classroom, the bell ring right as they sat down. Not long after, Zelda ran in, breathless. "I'm sorry, I really tried to not be late. My-" "Hey! It's the shit car girl!" She glared at him. "That's my brother's car. And he's why I'm late." Without elaborating on that statement, she sat down behind Link, again, since that was the only empty seat, again.

She pulled something out of her bag. It looked like the homework, and it was, but there was way more than what everyone else had gotten.

"Everyone pass their homework up to the front of the class." Link opened his bag and grabbed the crumpled up homework. He passed it to the person in front of them. He took Zelda's papers and saw that all of them except the normal homework said extra credit. Why someone would have that many extra credit papers, he didn't know. He didn't dwell on it too long, though. He passed it up to the person in front of him.

Once all the papers had been collected, the teacher started calling the roll. "Hey, Link?" He turned around. Zelda spoke again, softly. "Are you okay? I noticed that giant bruise on your cheek. Is everything alright?" "What? Yeah, I'm fine," he said, just a little too loudly. Sean looked at him weird, then whispered, "Yeah, man, I noticed it too. You good?" "Yes, I'm fine. Stop bothering me about it. You don't need to worry about that." "It's just that it happens a little too often. You aren't that clumsy. I know it couldn't have been an accidental thing. It's too big and dark." He gritted his teeth and repeated, "I said, I'm fine."

The teacher finished calling roll and the lesson began.

<<×>>

"Riiiiiiiiing!" "Okay, remember to do your homework! Have a good day!"

Link stood up and started to walk out the door, but the teacher stopped him. She waited until most people had left the room before asking, "I noticed that bruise. Is everything okay?" "Why do people keep asking me about that?" He shook her hand off his shoulder and left so fast that he almost ran out of the classroom.

<<×>>

"Can I go to your house with you?" "What?" "Can I go to your house with you?" Sean thought for a moment before saying, "I would say yes, but we're going somewhere today. Sorry." "No, it's fine. I see your bus. You should go now." "Oh, okay. Bye."

He walked away, disappointed. He really really didn't want to go back to his house. But he still did. He couldn't just stay at school all day.

He started the walk to his house.

<×>

He opened the door, completely forgetting about his dad. The result of that mistake was not fun.

"Look at you, just waltzing into the house and dropping your bag on the floor. You have no fucking respect for anyone who cleans in this place! And people with no respect don't deserve to be in this house."

His dad stood up and walked over to him. He picked him up by the collar of his shirt and punched him in the nose, then he slapped his face right where he had that morning. He then opened the door again and tossed him outside before kicking him down.

Link's head hit the concrete walkway, knocking him out instantly.

<<×>>

"Oh my goddess! Link, what happened to you? Your nose is bleeding! Are you okay? Obviously not, why am I even asking?" He felt his body get lifted up a bit and his head get tilted forward.

"Your head has been tilted back too long. Luckily, you haven't been standing up. You need to clear your throat and cough." He followed the directions, and he felt something sticky in his mouth. "That's it. I have some tissues in my bag. Cough into them." Some tissues were handed to him, and he followed those directions as well. He coughed into the tissues, and they were stained red. "Try not to swallow." He nodded a little, still coughing.

He felt something running down his upper lip, and then a tissue was pressed against his nose. "How long have you been out here?" He didn't answer. He didn't feel like talking. Well, he didn't feel like he could.

"I'll bring you into your house now." He shook his head furiously, trying to tell the girl that he didn't want to go back in there. Luckily, she got the message. "No? Okay, we'll go to my house instead. Hopefully my parents won't mind."