Warm

After about five minutes, David came to pick them up. Instead of taking them back home, though, he brought them to a cafe. He bought them something to eat, saying that it was his treat.

"Thanks, David. That's the nicest thing you've ever done."
He shrugged at Zelda's passive-aggressive statement. "Eh. I mostly just wanna see what happens with you two. A month or two ago, you hated each other, and now you're on a date."

Link laughed. "You're hilarious."
Zelda lightly pushed him from across the table. "Stop, you'll only fuel his ego more."

David chuckled and put some money of the table in front of Link, bent down, and quietly told him, "I heard you're flat broke, so here you go. Buy her something nice."

David stood up straight and walked away, saying, "See ya later."

<<×>>

"Order for... Zellie?"

Zelda groaned. "Did he really have to use the nickname?"
Link laughed. "I think it's cute."
Zelda put her hands over her face. She felt her ears grow warm, so she gently shook her head so her hair would cover them.

"I'll go get the drinks and stuff."
She lifted her head to look at Link. "Thank you."
"No problem."
He stood up and walked away. Soon, he came back with two coffees and two cinnamon rolls. He set Zelda's food in front of her and started eating his own.
Zelda also started eating. The cinnamon roll was delicious.

She looked over at Link and saw that he had cinnamon on his face, so she grabbed a napkin and reached over. The action surprised him, but he let her wipe it away.

"You're a mess."
"Sorry."
"No, no, it's fine. It's fine."
"I need to be neater. I guess my dad is right about some things."
"What? No! No, that's not what I meant. He's wrong."
"You just said it yourself. I'm a mess."
"Link... I didn't mean it like that."
"Of course you did. I don't mind, really. It's my fault, not yours."
"No, no it isn't. It's nobody's fault. Except your dad's. He's making you think things that aren't true. He's trying to make you think that you're wrong and he's right."
"I... I guess that makes sense."

Zelda let out a sigh of relief. He wasn't arguing like she thought he would.

He smiled at her.
"You should finish your cinnamon bun, Zel."
She nodded and resumed eating.

It began to rain outside. It made the whole cafe feel much cozier. And to Link, it made Zelda look that much more adorable as she held her coffee up to her lips with both hands. She had her eyes closed as she sipped from the cup.

He started humming a little tune, making it up on the spot. It sounded nice. Like Zelda. She was nice.
She looked the part, too, with her too-big sweater and soft smile.

He smiled, resting his chin in his hand. He liked this. It was a nice way to get away from everything else.

<<×>>

She sat on her bed, writing in her diary.

     I heard that they're going out today. I hope he's having a good time. That's the least I could do.
Although, I bet I could give him something much better than what she's probably giving him.
Oh, who am I kidding? She's much better at this. She's better for him. He'll be happier with her.
I support them. Well, I'm trying to. It's hard. Mostly because I'm jealous.
I haven't been going to school lately. I'm too scared. I don't want to face him. But it's too late to change anything now.
Maybe I'll go on Monday. I don't know. I can't just do this forever. Avoid him or pretend to be sick. Father will figure out soon enough.

She sighed. It was hard to get over, even if it had been a couple weeks.
She was clinging on too much. She just had to let go.

Maybe... maybe she could hold on just a little longer. Thinking of him made her warm. It was a nice change.
Hopefully she could find something else to think of to replace him. Something else that made her warm.

<<×>>

They stepped outside and stood under the overhang to wait for David.
Soon, he came and brought them home.

Link stepped out of the car and shut the door. He quickly got soaked by the torrential rain, yet he just stood there, staring at the car.

Then, the door opened again and Zelda got out. She hugged him, putting her arms around his shoulders.
He wrapped his own arms around her body and rested his forehead against hers.

She raised her head a little bit. Their lips were almost touching.
So he kissed her.

And despite the freezing rain, warmth spread through his body.
He could do this forever.