Chapter Four - Tight Shorts and Long Walks

Eddie could have sworn his heart had stopped for a moment. He grabbed for his inhaler and took the two puffs, then a third for good measure.

"So you're wearing my clothes now," he said, more to himself than Richie.

"Yeah, my one change of clothes were really starting to stink." said Richie, turning to face Eddie. "I think I pull this off, though."

Eddie took in the sight in front of him. Richie was bigger than him, he knew that, but he hadn't expected his clothes to be so tight on him. His grey polo shirt clung to Richie, highlighting every muscle, and his blue shorts were...well, highlighting something else.

"Eds, are you looking at my-"

"Beep beep, Richie!" said Eddie, snapping out from his daze. "You need to get some new clothes."

"Yeah," agreed Richie, looking at his reflection. "I'll end up stretching all of your clothes."

"I can...I can buy you some." offered Eddie. "I've got some money saved. It's not much, but it'll get you a few shirts and a new pair of shorts or jeans."

Richie looked taken aback. "Thanks, Eds, but no. I'm not relying on you any more than I already am. My parents will want me back soon, anyway, no point in buying new shit."

Eddie felt the need to protest. Oddly, he didn't feel expected to help Richie, he wanted to help. He really wanted to. He also didn't want Richie to stop wearing his tight clothes, but he wasn't really sure why.

"Mom and dad both work on Saturday morning," said Richie, thinking out loud. "I still have my key. I can go pack some stuff and get out before they're home."

The next morning, once Sonia was out of the way, Richie and Eddie walked to the house, careful not to run into anyone. Richie didn't say anything, but Eddie could see he was nervous. Richie was still insisting that he wasn't gay, though it was obvious Eddie didn't believe him, and the last time he was in his house, his mom had just kicked him out for it.

Richie swallowed the lump in his throat. "What are we hanging around for?"

They ran to the door and Richie took out his keys. The key wouldn't fit in.

"What's taking so long?" asked Eddie, looking around as if he were the lookout for a breaking-and-entering.

Shit, he thought, this is breaking and entering.

"I can't get the stupid key to work," muttered Richie, trying again to no avail.

Eddie looked at Richie and then at the keys. "Richie, do you think maybe they changed the locks?"

"They wouldn't do that." said Richie certainly, getting more and more aggressive with the lock. "They wouldn't do that to me."

"Rich- Richie, stop it!" Eddie grabbed his hand and he stopped.

Richie felt his breathing slow down, going back to normal, as he focused on Eddie. He took a deep breath.

"Eddie..." he said, staring deeply into his eyes.

"Yeah, Richie?" breathed Eddie, not sure if he wanted to step back or step forward so instead remained still.

"I'm..." his voice trailed off. "You're still holding my hand."

Eddie looked down at their hands, fingers intertwined. He quickly let go and wiped his hands on his top.

"God, Richie, your hands are so sweaty." he said quickly, avoiding eye contact.

"Only the left one." replied Richie, back into his usual inappropriate mode. "Well, I guess the bastards really did change the locks on me. Joke's on them."

"What do you mean?" asked Eddie worriedly. Nothing good ever came from Richie being vague. "Richie, what do you mean?"

"Come on, Eds." said Richie, running to the side of the house. "I know another way in."

Richie jumped up and and threw one leg over the fence, then turned to Eddie who looked white as a ghost.

"Richie, they changed the locks for a reason." said Eddie, shaking his head. "What if someone sees and calls the police?"

"No one calls the police here, no one cares enough." said Richie, putting his hand out. "Come on."

Eddie hesitated, then grabbed Richie's hand and pulled himself up and over the fence with Richie.

"This is illegal." muttered Eddie irritably.

"Live a little, Eds." said Richie, climbing through one of the windows. "Besides, it's not like we're breaking into the White House, it's my home."

Eddie thought about pointing out that this wasn't exactly his home anymore, but instead followed Richie in through the window.

The kitchen was filled with wine bottles and empty cans. Richie's face dropped.

"Guess they're taking this hard." said Richie, then he looked to Eddie. "My parents haven't really drank since I was a kid. Well, they hadn't."

Eddie noticed Richie's crestfallen appearance and felt the urge to hold his hand again, but instead he just said, "You did nothing wrong, Richie."

Richie took a deep breath. "Eds, I'm gay."

Eddie wasn't sure how to react exactly. Of course he already knew this, but he'd been pretending he didn't.

"That's okay," he said eventually. "That doesn't change anything."

"It changes everything." said Richie, kicking an empty can. "My parents hate me, Eds."

"They don't hate you."

"My own parents hate me." Richie's voice cracked and he fell down to the floor. "They- they fucking hate me, Eds."

Eddie opened his mouth, but nothing came out. Everything he thought to say sounded wrong, he felt completely useless as he watched Richie - fun, doesn't-give-a-fuck Richie - start to sob on his old kitchen floor. Eddie lowered himself down and sat next to Richie, facing the other way. Richie coughed, trying to stifle the tears. God, he felt so stupid, crying in front of Eddie like this.

"I'm fine," said Richie, sniffing once. "Let's just hurry up so we can get out of here."

Eddie leant forward, put his arms up and around Richie and squeezed him tightly. Richie didn't move at first, he was too shocked to react. He'd just admitted to Eddie he was gay, but Eddie still hugged him. Richie had been so worried that, if his friends knew, they'd suddenly not want him around, but here Eddie was, comforting him. He hugged him back.

"Thanks, Eds." said Richie, his smile back, but his eyes still red. "Can we not tell anyone about this?"

"Sure," agreed Eddie. "As long as you don't piss me off."

Richie chuckled. "No promises."