Chapter Fourteen - Bed Heads and Escape Plans

When Eddie first woke up, he refused to open his eyes. He knew that, if he opened his eyes, there was a chance he'd be alone and he didn't know if he could handle the disappointment. Only when he felt Richie's long, heavy arm wrap around his waist in confirmation of his presence, Eddie's eyes fluttered open. Then he screamed.

Jumping back slightly, Eddie yelped. "What the fuck, Richie?"

"Ah, good morning to you, too." said Richie, planting a loud smacker of a kiss on Eddie's forehead. "I slept well, thanks for asking."

"Why are you watching me sleep?" asked Eddie, relaxing. "I'm not used to waking up with someone's face two inches from mine, eyes wide open like a fucking psychopath."

"I don't have my glasses on," reasoned Richie. "If I'm not up close and personal, you just look like a blob to me. A really cute blob, though, Eds."

Eddie scoffed and smiled. "I guess that makes sense... Can you maybe just not lick your lips while you do it?"

"No promises, Eddie, my love." said Richie, moving himself up the bed to wrap an arm over Eddie's shoulders.

Sonia had once willingly let Richie into her house, a few years back, because he promised to help clean their attic. They had come across a record called Eddie My Love by The Chordettes which Eddie confessed was where his parents had chosen his name from. Ever since that day, Richie had called Eddie, 'Eddie My Love.' This was different, though. They weren't just friends who knew it was meant jokingly, they were... well, whatever they were, 'love' was a word too strong to use quite so flippantly.

Richie, being Richie, hadn't realised his mistake, but it didn't matter because Richie wouldn't have wanted to talk about love any time soon.

"So the escape plan." said Richie, hoping to avoid the talk about the previous night. "It's very simple: it involves chicken feathers, blood, nail clippings, skis and-"

"What the fu... Richie, where are we supposed to get skis?" exasperated Eddie. "Think things through."

"Interesting that that's what you think will be difficult to acquire, Eds, but we'll address that later." said Richie, shaking his head. "Okay, Einstein, what's your plan?"

"I don't have a plan, Richie!" hissed Eddie, "I wasn't planning on escaping, so I didn't prepare for escaping!"

Richie grinned stupidly.

"Why are you smiling at me, man?" asked Eddie, the anger in his voice wavering. "What- What kind of dumbass comes on a rescue mission without a fucking escape plan?"

"Your idiot, Eds." said Richie, cupping his jaw in his hands and smiling comically. "You're the damsel in distress, I'm your knight in shining band tees."

"Don't call me a damsel," smiled Eddie despite himself. "Remember when we were kids and you wore those fucking awful flowery shirts all the time?"

Richie feigned offence. "Those were fashionable, unlike those fanny packs you wear."

"I don't wear them because they look good, I wear them for convenience." said Eddie, crossing his arms. "We're going off the subject!"

"You started it."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"No, I didn't."

"No, you didn't!"

"Yes, I di- Ah, fuck!"

Richie laughed. "Okay, okay. You did, no need to shout."

"Richie, come on, what are we supposed to do?" asked Eddie. "I can't sign out without my mom's permission."

"There's a closet down the hall." said Richie, nodding in the right direction. "It's filled with uniforms."

Eddie frowned. "You want to play dress up?"

"Come on, Eds." said Richie, running his long fingers through Eddie's hair. "Trust me on this."