Chapter Eighteen - Juniper Hill Asylum

Eddie could feel his chest getting heavy and went to reach for his inhaler instinctively like a gun in a holster, but stopped himself. He didn't need it so much anymore. It took some time and a lot of encouragement from Richie, but he hardly used it anymore. In fact, he even considered not carrying at all anymore, but Richie was worried that he might genuinely need it and not have it, so he continued to pack it in his fanny pack - just in case.

God, he could use a puff of it right now, though, if not something stronger. He had chosen to come here. Why was it so hard suddenly? It seemed odd that there wasn't a private room for visits, but then Eddie was relieved that there wasn't. More witnesses, more protection.

"Now no funny business, Bowers." said a nurse, helping the patient sit across from Eddie. "You try anything like the last time, and it will mean isolation for a whole month. Got it? Okay."

Eddie stared at the man in front of him. Man now, not the boy Eddie remembered. Henry Bowers was 20-years-old now, though he didn't look much different overall, except the eyes. Eddie remembered the look Henry used to get in his eyes whenever he cut, punched or otherwise hurt any of the Losers. That was how he looked now, permanently. That madness behind his eyes and a large grin.

"Hello, Henry." said Eddie finally. "I want to talk to you."

"If it isn't the fucking queer," laughed Henry, looking up to the sky. "You didn't tell me he was coming, why didn't you?"

Eddie frowned. "Henry, I'm trying to move on from everything that happened and I- I can't because I've never told you how you made me feel."

"He's such a fag, isn't he?" chuckled Henry to the ceiling. "Talking about his feelings like a fucking gay boy."

"I think if I can just- just have a final word with you, then all the loose ends will be tied." continued Eddie, trying to ignore the odd behaviour of a mental patient. "So-"

"Why can't we do it now?" he whined. "I don't want to wait. Kill him now."

Eddie scooted back in his chair. "Henry, who are you taking to?"

"I think you know the answer, Kaspbrak." said Henry, all of his yellow teeth showing. "And she says you'll float, just not yet."

"She?" frowned Eddie. "I thought- Anyway, you're lying. Or you're imagining it. Yeah, you're just imagining it. I mean, look where you are, of course it's not real."

"It's coming back some day." said Henry, "It shows me things, bits of what'll happen."

"What will happen?" asked Eddie.

Why did I ask? Eddie thought. He's crazy. It's not real. We destroyed that thing. Bill did.

"You're gonna di-i-ie," sang Henry happily, then pointed to Eddie's chest. "That's where he'll get you, and it will go right through and you'll bleed and they'll cry and you'll float."

Eddie shook his head. "We got rid of it. It's gone forever."

"Right in your lanky boyfriend's arms," continued Henry, laughing as if the funniest joke had been told. "He'll be broken. He'll be so weak."

"How did you know Richie and I..." Eddie's voice trailed. "You couldn't know."

"You're going to fucking die, faggot!"

Two nurses hurried over. "Okay, Mr Bowers, it's time to go now."

He kicked and pushed as they dragged him away, leaving Eddie behind in a stare of shock.

"I wanna kill him!" screamed Henry. "Let me fucking kill him now, let me kill him!"

Eddie really needed his inhaler.