Chapter Seventeen - Tozier Reunion

There was an awkwardness in the apartment. They'd sat there, not talking, for five minutes. It felt longer. Tick, tock, tick, tock... The loud clicking of the clock seemed to get louder, mocking their silence. Richie went to speak.

"I think maybe you should go." said Eddie firmly, putting a protective arm over Richie.

Richie didn't say anything, just stared blankly at his parents for a response.

"What? Why?" said Maggie, taken aback.

"Why?" repeated Eddie. "The last time we saw you, do you remember what you said?"

"I-"

"You called your own son a faggot." said Eddie, his face red, smoke practically blowing out of his ears. "And now you show up after months and you don't say anything? Either of you? Richie deserves better."

"Richie?" said Maggie, hoping for a defender.

"Eddie's right." said Richie coolly, looking away to hide his face. "I don't want you guys here."

"Richard, we came here to talk to you." said Wentworth, clearing his throat. "We've talked about... it. We don't like it-"

"I gathered that when you kicked me out!" exploded Richie, his emotions surfacing suddenly. "Fuck, mom, I probably have your shoe print permanently on my ass from you kicking me out so fast!"

"Honey-"

"No, stop it!" said Richie, jumping up from his seat and looking down at his parents as if they were naughty children. "You just left me. You're my parents and you're supposed to love me and you couldn't even fucking do that! I'm happy now, no thanks to you, and I don't need a lecture on how what I'm doing - no, what I am - is wrong. So- So just fuck off because now I'm kicking you out of my house."

"Apartment," corrected Eddie automatically. "Sorry, reflex."

A pause. "Are you finished now, Richard?"

Richie frowned. "No, I'm not even-"

"We didn't come here to give you a lecture," Wentworth interrupted, slowly rising from his seat with a groan. "We came here to apologise."

Richie huffed. "Funny because I haven't heard a single sorry."

"I'm sorry," croaked Maggie in a small, broken voice. Richie was a little shocked by how old she sounded. "I'm so sorry, my baby. I can't believe the way I- I'm a horrible mother. I'm so sorry."

Richie froze, watching his mother cry. He'd gone from only ever seeing her cry once to seeing it twice in one year.

"I'm sorry, too." said Wentworth, rubbing his wife's shoulder. "I didn't know what to think when I heard what had happened. In all honesty, I didn't want to see you. I felt sickened."

"There's the door." said Richie plainly. "You never have to see me again."

"And to be completely truthful, son, I still feel sick when I think about it." continued Wentworth, looking him in the eye. "To me, this all seems wrong and unnatural. I just can't understand it."

"This is a great fucking apology." seethed Richie, nostrils flaring. The feeling of Eddie's hand on his back keeping him tame.

"But you're my boy, Richard." said Wentworth, his eyes filled with regret. "It doesn't matter if I don't understand you, I support you, and I'm sure that I'll come around to it."

"We will, Richie." added Maggie desperately. "We can't just change how we feel overnight, but we're going to try to be more accepting."

"Why now?" asked Richie weakly. "It's been months. Why suddenly are you interested in some family reunion?"

"Because we were too stubborn." said Wentworth plainly. "But we're here for you now, Richard, and we just want our son back."

"And what about Eddie?" said Richie, gesturing behind him. "Mom, you owe Eddie an apology, too."

Eddie shook his head. "Richie, it's not necessary."

"It is necessary." stared Richie, looking intently at his mother. "If you mean what you're saying, if you really, really want a second chance, then you'll apologise to Eddie, too, because he's important to me."

"Eddie," sighed Maggie with a sad smile. "I really am sorry for calling you- calling you a 'fairy'. I've always loved having you over, and if Richie's going to be- if my son is... gay, well, I'm glad he's with you. You're a good boy, and I'm happy for you both. Really."

"Thank you, Mrs Tozier." smiled Eddie. "I hope my mom comes around like you have."

She chokes. "Richie, sweetie, does that mean you can forgive me?"

"I forgive you." whispered Richie. "But one more chance. That's it."

"Thank you, thank you!" she howled, embracing him in a sudden hug. Her husband wrapped himself around them both.

"We've really missed having you around, son," said his father sincerely. "I'm even missing you blasting your music at seven in the morning."

"We've missed you so much, baby." cried his mother.

"I've missed you, too."

Eddie smiled at the family in their embrace and sighed. He was happy for Richie, he was. He hardly thought about how jealous he was that his parents were there for him.

He slipped away unnoticed.