Day Thirteen

For AnnMarieThrush

A/N: Next Chapter is the last and it will probably be the shortest.

I didn't smile when I woke up to the feeling of Alex kissing my neck. I usually would have made some smart remark about it. But I couldn't even pretend to enjoy our relationship with the thought of Mitch leaving today. He would gone forever now. I wouldn't be able to see him. I wouldn't be able to hold him. To kiss him. To make love to him. To wake up to his beautiful smile. Numbness seemed to wash over my body.

"Why so glum?"

"What if your family doesn't like me?" I turned the attention away from myself to the fact that I would be meeting Alex's whole family.

"They'll love you. Just like I do." Alex gave me a short kiss. I did nothing to make the kiss last longer. I pulled away almost immediately after our lips touched. "It's today, isn't it?"

"What?"

"Mitch is leaving today." I nodded to confirm his statement. "How long are you going to keep thinking of him when we are together? You won't even touch me." A disgusted chill was sent through my body when his hand brushed against my cheek.

"I'm sorry. It's going to take me awhile to get back to what we use to be." Alex gave me a quick nod. "I'm so sorry I did this to you Alex. I shouldn't have cheated." He smiled sweetly.

"It's okay." An hour later I was at Alex's side pretending to be the happiest fiancé in the world. But those who knew about Mitch couldn't be fooled. Kirstie and Garret would throw me worried glances. Avi and Kevin would send Caitlin in her adorable blue and white dress to try and cheer me up. Not even the little girl worked. She'd sit in my arms and make me laugh. She tried at least. I would only give those awkward laughs when you don't actually think it's funny. I couldn't actually react properly.

"How much longer?" I whispered to Alex.

"Not long." His eyes drifted across the room before pausing to focus on something. "I'll be back." He disappeared into the crowd of family members and I was left by myself. It was noon and I already had five drinks. Strong drinks. I couldn't stand being here. I spotted Alex's parents and went over to talk to them.

"Ah! Scott, my boy." I received a hug from his dad then gave his mom a gentle one.

"Are you feeling better Mrs. Kirk?" She tilted her head to the side in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I felt my heart stop.

"Alex said you weren't feeling well. That's why he came over all the time right?" She laughed softly.

"My son hasn't visited me for two months." I think I felt my stomach trying to bring up everything that I had eaten.

"Excuse me." I ran up to the bathroom but when I threw open the door, it made me want to throw up more. I stumbled out of the room where my fiancé was startled out of kissing his neighbor. The young, lonely neighbor that would come to work for Alex's parents.

"Scott! I can explain."

"Just stop! Don't!" I pushed Alex's hands away from me. He had been trying to grab me. To comfort me into something I'm tired of giving into. "We both cheated on each other, didn't we?" He didn't answer me. "Then why are we doing this? Why are we pretending to be happy with each other?"

"Because I was happy with you. When you finally kissed when we were having sex, I knew I wanted to be with you. But once we started reaching the two year mark for the end of your time with Mitch, you started going away from me again.

"We were happy Scott. When you proposed it was so sincere but then you thought about. You talked about him in your sleep. I know you daydreamed about him." I looked down at my feet. Everyone was listening in on us. "Why did you want to marry me if you were in love with him?" I closed my eyes. I sighed when I realized I had to explain myself.