Chapter 1

The summer wind whipped against Silica Delaney's cheeks as she walked the line of her Elite Advancement soldiers.

An orange glow casted down across the land as the sun slowly sunk below the Wall in the distance, and the cry of traveling birds could be heard overhead as Silica contemplated what she was going to say. Her squad dawned back at her with antsy looks on their faces; anxious to hear what their captain called them for.

"We have an internal situation that needs mending," Silica began, her arms crossing behind her back as she quit her pacing. Her gaze continued to travel about their faces. "And I'll be needing assistance in this undercover operation."

"Undercover, Captain?" Elijah tilted his head, confused as he shared his look with Nicholas.

"I didn't want it to have to come to this," she exhaled, closing her eyes briefly. "But Commander Erwin has given me permission to seek out the arrest of a man called Patrick Delaney outside of his authority. I have been given the news of where he may turn up next, but I can't catch him off his guard alone."

"Ma'am," Logan's voice caught her ear. She turned to face him, nodding that he continue. "Are you asking for our help?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

Her squadmates exchanged glances.

"Captain, we are all apart of the same squad," Monica offered her a sideways smile. "And we'll follow you no matter the order."

Silica couldn't help but be surprised by their salutes of agreement, and found herself looking down as she searched for what to say next. She was almost certain that they'd put up a stink about the whole ordeal.

"If I may," Quinnton said, tone smooth and aloof. "What kind of 'undercover operation' will we be seeing through?"

"Patrick is a conman and makes his living by selling illegal product; stolen ODM gear, drugs, the works," Silica proceeded her pacing once more. "To provide his steady income, he goes to banquets held by wealthy nobles to pass off his merchandise for a pretty penny. We have been led to believe that Patrick will be attending one of these banquets tomorrow night."

"How do you propose we get inside without being noticed?" Nicholas asked. "There's clearly illegal activity going on in these parties."

"I have a... friend who I'm sure is willing to give us the help we need to blend in," Silica responded somewhat vaguely. Her brow narrowed. "However, while I get the deal sorted out, you all will be on standby. I'll send out a summon when I have everything in order."

"And until then, Captain?" Monica asked.

"Act as if all is normal," their captain responded simply. "Continue your training as you see fit. It won't take me too long to acquire what we need."

"Understood, Captain!" They quipped in unison, saluting once more.

"You're all dismissed."

Standing at attention for a brief moment, her soldiers began to disperse. She watched them as they traveled down the hill toward HQ, and noticed Levi immediately as he trekked passed them, offering her a nod of acknowledgement.

"What're you doing here?" Silica asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I was looking for you," he replied. "Erwin updated me on the situation. Do you think your squad will be enough for reinforcements if things were to go awry at tomorrow's banquet?"

"Patrick is only one man," she shrugged loosely. "I think we'll manage."

"If you say so," Levi let it go and fell in step with her as she started walking. "But don't hesitate to call on me if you need help."