PART VI - 21 QUESTIONS

"So" Tre said gripping the wheel and glancing at the GPS. His need for control made him drive - what he hadn't banked on was his quiet passenger. Women were always trying to be seen and heard around him.

"So?" She repeats glancing up from her phone being difficult per usual and making him smile a little.

"Always an attitude" he comments

"Guess you can say I'm learning" she says getting right back at him.

"You have a smart mouth, you're a pain in the ass, grieving, your cousin thinks you're an angel and that I'm an issue? Hows that?" He asks.

"How is it-"

"Come on answer the question, I know you can go back and forth all night" he interrupts making Elle laugh as she looks out the window at the streetlights.

"I'm the last child from my mom, I have three older brothers. My brothers all have the same dad - mom's ex husband. He hated the idea of a girl ruining his streak. I got good at playing angel because it was the only way I got attention" Elle shrugs honestly. "Are you going to share too or do I get to talk about myself for the next hour?"

"Where was your pops?" Tre asks ignoring her commentary and making Elle smiles.

"Who knows? Didn't know Kevin, my mom's ex wasn't my dad until they had a divorce. He took my brothers - mom had me DNA tested so he couldn't take me."

"Any you've been a shit starter ever since?" Tre asks.

"No Mr. Therapist, my mom was distraught. I had to be an angel and then I found her a new pogo stick to bounce on so I could live my life" Elle smiles. Her eyes sparkle every time the light hits them.

Tre shook his head - nothing about her outer appearance teased at her being so crass. He'd been with a few girls from Elles world before and they were all the same - victims of their privilege. Some whoa is me tale from lack of attention or affection. Thats what fucking with him was good for - attention. After a few he stopped - they were no fun.

"You ever meet your dad?"

"I have to hear something about you first"

"Ask away" he nods looking at the road in front of him.

Elle smiles looking at the ceiling and milling through her thoughts, "What's your zodiac sign"

"You believe in that shit?"

"Just answer!" Elle shouts.

"Aquarius" she laughs at his response making him feel self conscious.

"Ok"

"Nahh, whats so funny?" He asks slightly offended.

'It's not my turn to answer questions, its yours. Are you a pimp?" Elle asks and its Tre's turn to laugh. "what's so funny you have girls, girls, girls, you're rude to them and they'll fight for you"

"If I was a pimp you'd be working, not getting a personal escort"

"Excuse me, I don't know much about that stuff" Elle smiles as Tre's turns. Silence falls on the car again as memories of his mothers hustles for drugs comes back to him.

"My dad, I met him once. I was the youngest of his kids too and the only girl. He was cool and so were my brothers. It was a long time ago. I barely remember what he looks like but he's never missed a birthday or Christmas since" Its an olive branch, an attempt to curb the awkwardness. He was uncomfortable all of a sudden and she could feel it. Not the fun kind of discomfort from pushing someone too far - the hurt kind.