PART XII - FAMILY BUSINESS

It was storming and everyone was in their respective rooms accept for Tre. He was sitting in the living room watching the rain and thinking about Elle. He knew she couldn't be sleeping. Her father comes down the stairs heading to the fridge.

"Can't sleep" he asks Tre.

"Don't sleep much" Tre responds honestly.

"You've been there for my daughter" he comments with knowing eyes and Tre sits upright. "Your aunt Ro's my old lady. I recognize you from the pictures she has at her place" Nico swallows. "Rico gave me a run down of what's been happening. Thanks for being there for her" Nico continues surprising Tre.

"She's a good person" he reasons.

"She's not but she didn't have much decent guidance either. Not from me or her mother, or the clowns that pretended to be father figures" Nico adds above delusion or bullshit. "I've fucked up a lot, even if she doesn't say much it means the world to have her here. Man to man, go see your mama. Life too short" Nico says standing up and heading back to his room.

...

The house was empty, everyone playing their part while Elle was benched. She knew her father babysitting her was her mothers doing. As much as Nico made Elle uneasy and their relationship undermined hers with her daughter, the prospect seemed better than Elle with Tre.

Elle had always been a handful, parenting her was a test. She always wanted freedom and distance, she was always isolated. Which made for an exhausting amount of oversight on her mother's part. She'd seen dates and boyfriends come and go but she'd never seen Elle put away the pageantry for a man. Tre was a man, it was evident. The strong type.

Elle sat silently watching the news on the opposite end of the couch to her father.

"Are you mad at me too?" Elle asks getting his attention.

"Mad about what?" He asks.

"Everything, how I got into this mess. You are who you are it's probably embarrassing to hear what's being said about me" Elle admits daring to look at her father who smiles. He takes a breath relaxing a bit before looking over at her again.

"I'd probably be more embarrassed if you were sitting here still pining over that sorry ass excuse of a man" Nico reasons. "I'd be embarrassed if I thought you would think of giving him another chance" Nico continues.

"It wasn't serious, it was just stupid"

"I've done worse shit Elle. I've lost more than one friend because of my lifestyle. Lost my freedom. Missed out on my kids growing up, didn't know about my daughter for twelve years." Nico sighs. "I've fucked up too many times to count. The way I hear it you're a hustler like me. The club and your uncle business was booming" he smiles making Elle do the same.

"I guess" she shrugs.

"I'm not here to judge you. I can give you advice but I'm just here to protect you and talk if that's what you want" he smiles.

"So no misogynistic double standards imposed on me because I'm a girl" Elle asks.

"You're going to act right in front of Tre. I don't have to worry" Nico says leaning back as Elles cheeks burn with embarrassment. Her heart races as she looks down laughing. "I'm old but I don't miss shit" Nico laughs playfully.

"Note to self" she smiles.

"Thanks for all the birthday and Christmas cards and money" she says finally. "I didn't know what to say before, Jesse told me to see you but I was afraid" Elle admits honestly.

"We're here now kid" he puts an arm around her kissing her forehead.

....

It was impossible for Elle no to be overwhelmed. It was all too much. Jesse was gone, gone because of a choice they'd made to live recklessly. Her uncle was shot because of the same decision. Now she was stuck cooped up in her fathers house with her mother, him, her brother and Tre.