Chapter 20: Dark

- 3rd Person -

Link and Lady Palutena slowly opened their eyes and suspected there would be light to adjust to. Yet, there was none. It was only darkness. They shivered and rubbed their arms with their hands at the coldness surrounding them. Link noted the place they were in. He touched the cold steel floor and the metal bars that were like ice. "Where are we?" He asked, softly. He looked at the horizon where the sun was setting as the sky turned hints of red, orange, and yellow. Link tried to look up yet, only his arm could fit between the bars. Though, he guessed they were hanging by a cliff edge. It probably was a cliff edge since the waters below them hit the rocks behind them. "Palutena!" He exclaimed as he ran to her side. The goddess rubbed her head softly as she slowly sat up with Link's help. "Are you okay?" Link asked, sitting down next to her. He continued to check her head, arms, and legs for any injuries. He ran his hand through her hair only to feel something wet. He pulled away to see it was blood and he gasped softly. "Link, please, don't worry about me. I can take care of my injury. I should be asking you that question though. You have dry blood stains and you're soaking wet!" Palutena explained as Link looked down. He noticed his clothes felt heavier than usual and the dry red stains that wouldn't come out. "What happened to us?" He asked, looking up at Palutena. "I'm not so sure, either. The last thing I remember was being attacked." Palutena added, ripping a piece of her dress. She handed it to Link who wetted the cloth with his soaked clothing. Palutena grabbed it and softly dabbed the cloth on her head injury.

"Wait, where's Dark Pit?" Link exclaimed, panic set in. Palutena's eyes widen as she looked around along with Link. The said elf-boy continued to walk all around the cage and looked out. Yet, there was no sign of the dark angel and Link looked back at Palutena. "Now, I lost two of my angels. How can this get any worse?" She spoke, choking on her tears that threatened to stream down her face. "Oh my dear, it can get worse. I'm just holding it off for later." A voice replied and Link got into a defensive stance.

He tried to grab his sword and shield only to feel nothing but, his belt. He touched all the sides of his belt but, nothing was there. Link was starting to panic, where did his weapons go? Palutena noticed his distress and tried to summon her staff only for it not to appear. She was confused until she looked down to see that her necklace was black with a glowing red, blue, purple, and orange gleam. "Wait, my staff and my powers!" She exclaimed, panicking as well. The two stood by one another for protection as the voice started to laugh.

"Oh, how pathetic this is to watch! You two only rely on powers and weapons but, I don't blame you. Such things could and can be used to their greatest potential." The voice explained. "By order of the Goddess of Light, I demand you to show yourself!" Palutena yelled out, trying to maintain a steady tone. But, she couldn't. Her fear of this voice was through the roof and it clearly showed. "Or what? I don't need to listen to you, Goddess!" The voice responded, annoyingly. The way this voice said 'goddess' stuck out though.

"Show yourself!" Link yelled out. The voice made a soft humming sound as it thought about what to do. This humming sound soon turned to whispers and chuckles that couldn't be heard. "As you wish." The voice replied. Link and Palutena readied themselves as they made themselves go toward the end of the cell. Everything turned a bright purple and red as they both closed their eyes, tightly. Once they opened them, a rainbow orb was floating in front of them. "Eh? Who are you?" Link asked, going toward it to catch with his bare head. He had already known what these rainbow floating and flying orbs are.

These orbs contained the souls or spirits of Pokemon, fighters, assistant trophies, and just everyone in general in Smash. Just as Link was about to catch it in his hands, the orb flew back upfront to another person's hands. "No...it can't be..." Palutena whispered as she looked at the shoes this figure was wearing. Link looked in her direction to see these shoes or boots or whatever they were called. He softly gasped as they realized who it belonged to. The figure chuckled and lowered himself down realizing what the gasping was all about.

"Sorry, Link. This orb belongs to me and Galeem!" Dark Pit exclaimed, putting the orb away in a special container. "Oh, Dark Pit, what happened to you?" Palutena asked as she noticed the dark angel's wings. Well, they weren't angel wings. They were...they were different. They were so difficult to explain. It was similar to tentacles and four wings stretched out to make one. And his eyes were black with bright purple pupils. It was horrifying to look at it and so concerning to see Dark Pit like this. "Who are you? What are you doing to Pitoo?" Link yelled, glaring?.

"What are you talking about? I am Dark Pit or whatever that stupid nickname is. But, I'd rather you call me...Dharkon." Pitoo explained, crossing his arms. A smirk never leaving his face and never planning to do so. Palutena and Link were speechless as they stared with concern, fear, and anger. Where was Pit? What happened to Dark Pit? How dare these two forces of evil take the angels away from them. "Where's Galeem?" Link yelled out, his tone breaking slightly. "I know where he is but, he said not to say. He wants you to figure it out, dear Link. For now, I will sit on top of the cage until you find out. No cheating or funny business allowed here!" Dharkon explained and Link swallowed.

And Dharkon's laugh echoed throughout his head.