TEN; Baseball And Bad Guys

"You want me to play

"You want me to play... baseball?" Shaylee asked her mate.

"It's the American past time!" Michael cheered.

Shaylee and Michael stood at his grey Jeep that parked in her driveway.

He removed his cap and placed it firmly on her head. She adjusted it and moved her hair out of her face.

"I mean, I've played Cricket. Is it anything like that?" She asked.

"Cricket? Really? No." He chuckled.

"I'm British, of course I've played Cricket. It can't be that different. There is a bat, there is a ball... you hit the bat with the ball and people try to catch it-"

"Okay, well when you put it like that, then I guess you're right. Are you coming? The storms coming soon and it's the only time we get to play." He asked, leaning on the hood of his Jeep with pleading eyes his mate couldn't say no to even if she wanted too.

"Of course I will." She stopped leaning on the bonnet of the car and climbed into the passenger seat.

The car ride wasn't long.
Storm clouds gathered in the sky as Michael mentioned earlier.

She took in a rough baseball diamond, set into an enormous field in the lap of the Olympic peaks.

Esme and Emmett come to greet the pair.

"Ever played?" The big brawny Emmett asked.

"Does cricket count?" Michael asked on her behalf.

Emmett shrugged before Esme threw an arm around her shoulder. She walked her to home base and swung her bat in the other hand. "You've got this. It's easier than you think. All you've got to do is watch the ball and swing. It's easy."

It didn't take long for Bella to show up with Edward. She felt good not being the only outsider. Shaylee never really spent time with other people that weren't her siblings. Her life revolved around them and she often felt like no one else liked her. She lived a life where everyone feared rather than liked her.

"Good thing you're here. We need an umpire." Esme said.

With a big crooked grin, Emmett yelled, "She thinks we cheat.''

"I know you cheat." She teased. "Call 'em as you see 'em, Bella."

Alice stood firmly on the Pitcher's Mound. "It's time." With that said, a deep rumble of thunder shook the forest.

The game began, and boy, it was extraordinary. Bella stood by Esme who played catcher. Edward, Michael and Emmett took a position out on the outfield.

With a grin, Alice kicked her leg high and pitched with lightning-fast speed.

Rosalie stood at home base and smashed the ball with the aluminium bat. It cracked like thunder, making sense as to why they played when a storm was due. Her hit was directly followed by real thunder.