Thirty One

I clicked her name on my phone and listened to it ring.

"C'mon, pick up..." I bit my lip and tapped my foot nervously.

"Put it on speaker," Laura said.

"Yeah," Tom agreed.

I sighed and placed it on speaker. The rings echoed throughout my hotel room as I placed it down on the counter.

"Hello?" the person on the other line answered.

I froze.

"Say something," Laura whispered.

I gingerly picked up my phone and brought the speakers close to my mouth, "Um.. hi Mom."

"Hi," she said slowly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm... okay," her hesitation was evident.

"Where's Dad?" I asked.

"I don't know, why do you care?" she snapped. Surprised at her reaction, I asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, Zendaya, everything is fine," she growled then sighed. "Look, is there a reason you called?"

"Are you upset at me or something?" I asked, my dad was always hostile towards me, but not my mom.

She sighed again, "No, it's just been a long day and I want to get some rest."

"Long day? What have you been doing?" I questioned.

"Working, you know the office is busy this time of year," she answered, and then coughed.

"Oh," I tried to keep the emotion out of my voice.

"So what's up?" she asked.

"I'm just wondering about Dad's whereabouts," I said.

"He hasn't been home for the past few weeks, you know he does that sometimes," she explained and then coughed again.

"I see," I looked up and saw Tom and Laura looking completely lost. I just nodded to them and put my pointer finger to my lips.

"Why?" my mom asked.

"I dunno, he hasn't called to yell at me so I was just making sure he's still breathing," I told her.

"Ah, I see," she responded, in the distance I heard a bell. "Hold on, someone's at the door."

Shuffling sounds came through the speakers.

"It's your father," she whispered. "You know he hates it when we talk. I've gotta go Z, be safe, be smart..." she coughed again. "I love you."

"I will, are you sick?" I asked.

"Yes," she responded. "Bye now."

She hung up.

"Ohmigod," I started breathing heavy and put my hands to my head.

"What? What is it?" Laura rushed to my side.

"Something's going on for sure," I cried out.

"What? How do you know?" she asked.

"My mom coughed three times and said she was sick," I told her. "She never gets sick."

"Okay, Z, you don't know for sure-"

"And she said she's tired because she's busy working 'you know the office is busy this time of year'," I told her.

"So?"

"Laura, my mom doesn't work. She's been a stay at home mom since I was born," I told her.