Chapter 4

And then I swished around, my skirt brushing Prince Coleman's pants, and walked back to my place on the pedestal.

Prince Coleman didn't say anything for a moment, and just when I was sure he was going to open his mouth with some retaliation, the door opened once more.

The Queen and Miss Alexandria this time.

"Ah, Mäuschen." Queen Klara said, looking at Prince Coleman. "I'm glad to see that you made your way here.  I wanted to remind you that you need to be here at the palace tonight."

"I know." Prince Coleman's lip curled. "Though I don't see why I should have to stay and greet that Nikotan rabble."

"The 'rabble' is a Prince, and he could be your brother-in-law one day," the Queen chided.

"Doubtful."

"How are the designs coming along?" Queen Klara asked Miss Dubois.

"Quite well, your majesty. I am just finishing up. We have taken some pictures of her, picked the color, taken her measurements, and I have a few ideas of what the final dresses will look like," Chloé answered.

"Excellent!" Queen Klara pronounced. Chloé asked to be excused, and she gathered what few items remained and exited the room. She had taken her pedestal with her, and Queen Klara told me not to go anywhere just yet.

"Alexandria—are the servant heads on their way?" Queen Klara asked.

"Yes, ma'am," she answered. "They should be here any minute, with the exception of Mister Arthur. He is busy attending his majesty."

"Of course he is, bless that man's soul," Queen Klara said. "Regardless, that is of no matter. His presence was the least important."

"Why have you called all the servant heads?" asked Prince Coleman.

"To discuss our upcoming visitor," she answered.

First came in Missus Lucille who was followed by her nephew and the light of my life, Lucas Prescott. She curtseyed and he bowed to her majesty the Queen.

Queen Klara sat herself down on a red velvet couch and brought us all to stand before her.

"Mister Lucas, Missus Lucille—I'm sure you are well aware of Prince Nikolas's upcoming arrival tonight."

They nodded.

"You also know, I'm sure, what happened the last time he was here?"

The two grimaced and nodded once more.

Queen Klara looked at me. "Frogs. In his bed," she explained in a clipped voice—the closest I'd ever heard her sound to being angry. She directed her attention back to Luke and Missus Lucille. "Of course, I understand that there is a feud between Areganans and Nikotans. My own son feeds into that ridiculousness. But I am not to have the servants partake of this nonsense, am I understood?"

"Yes, your majesty," they chimed.

"Of course, I understand that though you two, along with Missus Alexandria and Mister Arthur, are above the rest of the servants, you are not entirely responsible. However, I implore you to do your very best to keep everyone in line."

"Yes, ma'am," they said.

"Oh Mama, the servants just play harmless tricks on Prince Nikolas is all," Coleman shrugged, but shut up at her fierce glare his way.

"Miss Carmichael." Her voice was crisp, and I stood straighter.

"Yes, your majesty?" I answered.

"You are from America, are you not?"

"Yes."

"As I thought. Since you are not Areganan, I have decided it best that you attend to Prince Nikolas whilst he is here."

Me? Serve the Nikotan Prince?

"Mama!" Prince Coleman jumped up.

"Silence, Coleman," she commanded, but he didn't obey.

"Cassie is my servant. You're going to throw her to that Nikotan trash?!"

"You will live," Queen Klara growled. "Missus Lucille, I want you to train Cassie for the rest of the day on appropriate conduct and answer any questions she may have on how to best serve Prince Nikolas while he is here."

"Yes, ma'am," Missus Lucille nodded.

My stomach lurched—a whole day with Missus Lucille. That sounded awful.

"Mama, why does Cassie have to be the one who serves Nikolas?" Prince Coleman whined.

"Because," his mother snapped. "She doesn't hold the bias against him like everyone else does."

"But still!"

"I've made my decision, Coleman!" Queen Klara cried. "And it's final." She turned to Luke. "Mister Lucas—why don't you attend lunch with Miss Carmichael and preface her about Prince Nikolas before she works with Missus Lucille?"

"Yes, ma'am," he nodded. "Should we leave for lunch now?"

"Yes, that would be best," Queen Klara said.

Luke nodded at me and we got the heck out of there before Prince Coleman broke into a full-on tantrum.

"It's actually a very smart decision on the Queen's part," Luke said once we had left the room. "People here are very hostile about Nikotans."

"What about you?" I asked. "Do you hate them too?"

"I don't know. I'm not really crazy about them, but I don't hate them either. This whole situation reminds me of university rivals—but on a much larger scale," Luke said.

"So, what should I know about Prince Nikolas?"

"Well, he's nothing like Prince Coleman, for starters," Luke said, which surprised me. I had had a sneaking suspicion that Prince Nikolas was very similar to our own Prince, which was why they had such conflict.

Lucas continued. "Prince Nikolas has a very no-nonsense attitude about him. He's rather cold and intimidating."

"Prince Coleman can be intimidating," I countered.

Luke looked at me, and merely shook his head. "Not like Prince Nikolas."

"Oh."

What am I getting myself into?!