Chapter 12

Granny didn't seem to appreciate that little comment.

               "You ought to show some respect for your elders," Grandma sniffed. "Though I suppose they don't teach that in Durmanhein."

               Queen Klara's eye twitched. Prince Coleman watched in amusement, then locked eyes with me and smiled conspiratorially. My heart thumped extra soundly for a second, but I smiled back.

               "Now, where is my son?" Grandma deCourcy demanded. "I hope you do not overwork him with all your little crafty schemes, Klara." She said the name like it was poisonous.

               "What schemes would I be overworking him with?" Queen Klara asked with a dumbfound expression. "Why would I want to overwork Collin? Honestly!"

               "Well, if you are anything like your father, I have an idea of why you might!" She shook a crooked finger with a fat gold ring.

               "Mama." A rich, deep voice penetrated the hall. It was like Coleman's voice, but more domineering and intimidating.

               We turned to look up the hall to find King Collin himself walking purposefully down the hall, and his mother lit up.

               "Ah! My boy!" she cried, her voice once again taking on a high tenor and sweet sound. She scuttled up to King Collin and wrapped him with a hug. He gave her a solid hug in return before speaking.

               "Mama," he started, his voice a bit softer. "Are you harassing Klara again?"

               Granny deCourcy took a step back and smiled a little sheepishly. Queen Klara smirked from behind her. "I was just bringing up her family's history, and her father's lack of fidelity!"

               King Collin stared at his mother with a grim expression. "Papa was not exactly a shining example of fidelity either, Mama. This you know."

               She sucked in her cheeks. "Still."

               King Collin sighed, patted his mother on the head, and walked up to his wife. He and Queen Klara shared a sweet, short kiss and he quietly said, "Hello, my love."

               Geez, King Collin kind of scared the dickens out of me with his intimidating stage presence, but something about his tender moment with his wife warmed my heart. I wanted a sweet relationship like that one day.

               Queen Klara's eyes sparkled at his gentle smile, and she took the King's hand and squeezed it.

King Collin turned around and smiled at his mother, still holding Queen Klara's hand. "It is good to see you again, Mother, as always."

Grandmother deCourcy beamed, and her eyes landed on her grandchildren again.

"I have such beautiful grandbabies!" She crooned.

"Aw, you flatter us," Prince Coleman said.

"I mean it!" She cried.

"Of course, you wouldn't be biased at all, right Grandmama?" Calista chuckled. A rare glimpse of wit from her.

"I'm not biased in the least!" Grandma clucked. To my surprise, she turned around to face me and Luke, who had been quiet observers of the whole thing. "Well, what do you two think?" She asked. Neither Alexandria nor Arthur were with us, making us the only two people outside of the family around.

"You have very handsome grandchildren, ma'am," Lucas answered with a nod of his head. Princess Calista beamed at his answer.

"I agree," I added, hoping to appease old Marjorie deCourcy.

"Oh, do you now, Little Maid?" Prince Coleman said.

I stared at him very hard. "Indeed. Princess Calista is pretty girl, and I can tell that she is going to grow up to be a very beautiful young woman."

A side smile rose on his face as he locked me in a steely gaze. "I've missed your cute little compliments."

"I'm sure you have," I answered with a smile of my own.

I noticed Granny whipping her head between us looking quite confused and slightly upset, while King Collin watched me carefully before whispering something to Queen Klara.

Prince Coleman cleared his throat, and took a step away from the wall he had been hovering by. "Grandmother, this is Cassie Carmichael. She's my personal maid, and of course you know Lucas already."

Grandmother looked at me sharply, and I smiled awkwardly and dropped into a bow.

"I see," she said, slowly.         

"Grandmama," Calista spoke up, for which I was quite grateful for. "Did you bring us presents?"

"Of course I did!" she cried. "I brought gift for everyone!" She suddenly eyed Queen Klara. "Well, almost everyone."

Queen Klara's grip on her husband's hand tightened.

"I have gifts for each day of the festival!" Granny babbled.

"I'm afraid I better retire for the evening," Queen Klara said, letting go of the King's hand and stepping forward.

"So early?" Grandmother said. "Makes one question one's fortitude."

Queen Klara's smile was clearly strained. "Would you like me to stay up with you all, then?"

Granny's face dropped.

"That's what I thought," Queen Klara snapped. She looked back at King Collin. "I'll see you later, Liebes."

He nodded and smiled while Grandma muttered something about that rotten German.

"Miss Carmichael," Queen Klara suddenly eyed me. "Accompany me back to my room, please."

"So, Cassie," Queen Klara started as soon as we were out of earshot from the party behind us

"So, Cassie," Queen Klara started as soon as we were out of earshot from the party behind us. "What brought you to the West Wing?" At least she didn't sound angry.

"Prince Coleman said that I should come," I answered, choosing to conceal the fact that he wanted me to come to see Granny deCourcy up close.

"I see," she said. "Well, during the Autumn Festival, we have many visitors. Obviously, Prince Nikolas and my mother-in-law. My nephew Duarte will also be coming soon. The Autumn Festival is quite fun in many ways, but not so much in others."

I nodded, before daring a question. "Ma'am, why does she—the King's mother, I mean—why does she hate you so much? I don't see why she would."

Queen Klara smiled slightly. "Flattery is a good skill to have, Cassie."

I rose my eyebrows. "Oh, I don't mean to flatter. I just mean that I honestly have no idea why she would hate you."

The Queen laughed, and sighed. "She's very protective of her children. She isn't all that nice to my brother-in-law's wife either, but she especially dislikes me since Collin was her prodigy."

"But I thought you said how you were rich and a Princess. I don't understand why she'd think you less than King Collin."

"That's what I thought!" she cried. "But honestly, I don't think anyone would have been good enough for her. She's just a bitter, mean old woman."

"Sounds like it! I hope my future mother-in-law isn't like that," I said.

"Oh, I am sure she won't be."