Chapter 8: Mia

My heart's had such a workout tonight.

Grey took multiple turns and shortcuts to lose those guys. Ten minutes into chasing us and we lost them. I didn't care what their motives were, but I knew Grey wouldn't let them get anywhere near us.

After experiencing that, I gained a better understanding of how Greyson beat Eddie in the race. Eddie had the faster bike, yes, but he didn't have the control over it like how Greyson had with his. Grey was an expert at any speed.

So when Grey realized that Eddie couldn't handle riding his bike at top speed, he used that to his advantage. He let him win the first race. Then he tried his damn near hardest to convince to agree to a rematch. But with more money on the line, of course. And his father's bike.

I mentally rolled my eyes at that last one. I still wasn't over that.

Anyways, you could say that Grey practically conned him. I would be mad at his methods of making extra cash if I didn't know that Eddie was a complete asshole who probably had that coming.

Grey took us back to his place instead of mine after we took the long way back into town, ensuring we weren't being followed again.

His mom was already asleep, so we snuck. Not that she would mind me coming over to their place at this ungodly hour, but we honestly didn't want to wake her up.

We tiptoed up to his room. Grey flicked on the lights, and I planted myself on his shaggy grey rug in front of his bed.

I watched Grey stash the money in this mini lockbox that he kept hidden inside an old shoebox.

"You want to spend the night?" he asked when he was done.

"Sure," I had responded with a shrug. We had sleepovers all the time-no big deal.

"Okay, cool." He gave me a soft smile. "I'm going to take a shower. You can take one after me if you want and pick out anything of mine that you want to wear."

I smiled back. "I know. Thanks."

He nodded, grabbing the towel hanging from the back of his door, and he left.

I laid down on the rug starfish style, staring at the ceiling.

A lot has happened in the past 24 hours. My brain had failed to process it all.

I pulled my cellphone out of my back pocket, holding it above my face. I reread the text my mom sent me.

She didn't say much, but the shock of hearing from her hadn't worn off. My eyes skimmed the lines a few more times. It was like I needed to commit it to memory, as if it could self-destruct at any moment, being erased forever like it didn't even exist.

This didn't feel real.

But never mind the whole potentially rebuilding a relationship with my mom thing. I had a little sister, and she's been missing from my life for almost 12 years. I could have spent so much time with her. We could have grown up together.

How come no one allowed me to see her? Especially since she was sick.

I wanted to meet her more than anything, but I knew that pretty much came like a package deal. My mom would be included, and I had to think about what I wanted for us first. Do I keep my distance from her for the rest of my life? Or do I somehow try to work on forgiving her for leaving me and slowly build back up a relationship?

I took a deep breath hoping to control all the emotions fluttering underneath the surface.

So much to think about.