Chapter 21: Greyson

At Dean's request, band practice was short. He wanted us to save our energy for the gig at Lila's tonight. All the guys seemed pretty hyped up except for Tatum, who looked like he had a lot weighing on his mind.

I had asked him about it, but he brushed it off, saying it was just nerves. Of course, I didn't believe him.

Either way, I let him know he could call me anytime if he wanted to talk, especially about Mari.

I wasn't saying that I am a relationship expert or anything now, but I knew what he was going through.

When it came close to the end of Mia's shift, I decided to walk and meet her at the café. It was a nice enough day to ditch the truck and the bike for some good ole fresh air.

I had been crossing the street to the other side when my phone started ringing. "Clocks" by Coldplay began playing through my jeans pocket, my mom's favorite song, and her ringtone.

"Hey, Mom!" I said excitedly. I haven't heard her voice in days.

"Oh wow!" she said sarcastically. "You remember me, do you? I wasn't sure if my only child, who carried in my belly for over nine months, went through an excruciating 17-hour natural labor just to have him never call me..." She took a swift intake of breath before continuing. "...Would recognize the sound of my heartbroken and distressed voice," she began to fake weeping.

"Mother, you do realize I've called you the past two days in a row. If anyone should be heartbroken, it should be me. My mother obviously has no time to talk to me. I even left you texts. "

"What! When?"

"The last two nights in a row," I replied.

"You lie!" Mom whispered harshly. "I didn't see any texts!"

I sighed. I knew Mom must have overlooked them.

"Look, I am telling you," she began to sing terribly. "There's no way, n-n-n-n-no way!!"

"MOM!" I said before she began singing the entire chorus.

"Oh! Hey, I found them," Mom said softly. I heard a few tapping motions from her end.

"Hmm..."

"In my defense, you see what had happened was," she paused.

"I'm waiting."

"I dropped my phone. The screen cracked on the side where my messaging app is. So, yeah. It's unbelievably bad. I'm surprised it still works. "

"How do you explain the missed phone calls?"

"Did I mention I love you?" She answered my question with one of her own.

"Mom."

"Okay, I must have looked at them. Then I made a mental note to call back, but then I got distracted every time. I forgot." I could feel her guilt through the phone.

"I believe you owe your only child, the one who taught himself how to make chicken noodle soup when you were sick, the same one who stayed up late to make sure you always made it home safely from work, an apology."

"I'm so sorry, my loving son. Will you ever forgive me?" she said, only half sarcastic.

I cracked a smile. "Ahh... I'll have to think about."

"I'll bake you banana bread with extra walnuts."

"You are forgiven," I said instantly.

We laughed. "So what's new?

"A lot of things," I said vaguely.

"Wow. That sounds so exciting. Thanks for telling me all about your new life," Mom replied blandly.