Chapter 12: Greyson

After waking up in my arms yesterday, Mia's been acting weird.

She got up and went about her day as if nothing had happened. Which was okay with me if she didn't want to talk about it, but I needed to know if she's weird because of us cuddling or if it's because she's been thinking about her mom, and she was silently hoping I wouldn't ask about it again.

"Oh gosh, Grey! I can't find a scrunchie!" Mia said, running out of the bathroom, holding her hair up in a ponytail with one hand. "I'm going to be late on my first day, and I'm going to get fi-AHHH!!" she squealed as she stumbled over my guitar case that I had accidentally left lying on the ground in front of the couch. I took it out of my room, so the guys won't trip over it when my furniture gets delivered later today.

"MIA! Jeez! Are you okay?" I ran over to her aid.

Mia sat up, looking at me through the strands of hair that had fallen in front of her face. She huffed out a breath, blowing a few strands away as she glared at me.

Her finger angrily pointed at my guitar case and said, "Why did you even bring that thing? You barely play it anymore!"

I looked over at it as if I had to remind myself what she was talking about and shrugged. "I figured this summer is as good a time as any to pick it back up again. Maybe, I'll even pay at open mic tonight." I smiled, attempting to lighten her anger a bit.

"No, you won't. You've never played anything in public." She had a point there.

"But I think I could if I want to."

Mia looked unconvinced.

"Do you dare me to?" I asked. If she said yes, then I knew I wouldn't back down. I'd come through on my word.

"I double-dog dare you to get in front of all those people and embarrass yourself since you haven't picked up a guitar in... what? Over two years." She held up two fingers for extra emphasis.

That was pretty close to the last time I played anything on my guitar. I got busy with other hobbies, nothing new there.

I guffawed at her lack of faith in me. "You think I'll look stupid up there and get stage fright or something?"

She smiled sweetly. Too sweetly. "Yes. That's exactly what I think might happen. You don't even like all that attention on you. I don't know how you made it as a street racer with everyone always watching you on the track."

"Never mind that." I flitted my hand in the air. "Musical talent like this just doesn't disappear, Mia," I told her.

Mia snorted.

I ignored it and continued, "That being said, you're on! You know I never back down from a dare." I grinned.

She rolled her eyes as if annoyed by me. "Trust me, you don't have to remind me," she scoffed.

Moving back to the problem at hand. "You okay?" I asked, helping her up.

Mia hopped on one leg, holding onto my arm for support. "I'm pretty sure. My toe is throbbing." She winced.

"Let me take a look at it." I scooped her up in my arms, and to my surprise, she didn't complain this one time.

I rested her on the couch then sat on the ottoman in front of her. Reaching for her foot, I placed it in my lap and examined it. "Your toe is red, but it's not bleeding, which is good. It might swell up later or show some slight bruising. I hope not, though." I rubbed her foot softly. "Do you think you'll be able to stand on it today and walk around?"

She removed her foot from my lap. "Yup. I'll be fine." She launched to her feet, and I saw her bite down on her bottom lip, trying to ignore the slight pain.