Chapter 9: Greyson

I was excited about this new chapter.

But like most of my new beginnings, it was bitter-sweet for me.

I rested my head against the car seat, taking a quick breather before turning off the engine. My mom's mustang seemed loud enough to wake the dead with how eerily quiet it was this morning. Then again, here I was in the middle of one of the town's biggest cemeteries at 7 a.m sunrise.

I didn't see a single soul. Okay, "soul" may not be the best word to use right now, considering cemeteries still creeped me out. Saying "soul" could mean anything like a literal ghost hanging around the place, and maybe there were a few, or maybe there were none. Either way, fingers crossed, I didn't see any because I was not packing any rock salt shotguns in the trunk or weapons made from wrought iron.

Supernatural was taking over my life.

When I was driving in, I didn't see anyone else. Not surprising, though.

I got out of the car, grabbing the bouquet of white and blue hydrangeas from the passenger seat.

I made my way over to my destination. Kneeling on the grass, I placed the flowers into the holder next to the tombstone.

I ran my fingers across the top of the smooth granite, and I smiled. Sometimes when I came here, the last thing I wanted to do was smile, but I knew he wouldn't want to see me sad like that all the time.

"Hey, Dad," my voice sounded hoarse, and my throat felt like sandpaper. I tried again. I took a seat, stretching one leg out and pulling up my other leg so I could rest a hand on my knee. "Hi, dad. I just wanted to stop by before I left. I'm heading off to the apartment with Mia today, we're officially moving in, and she's literally over the moon about all of this. Last night, she complained about how much her cheeks were hurting from smiling so much."

I chuckled at the thoughts before continuing. "We've been moving our things in, little by little, but today, our furniture is coming in, and after we get those settled and carry the very last box in, it'll be official."

I sighed. "I wish you could see the place." And here was where the bittersweetness kicked in. "There are exposed brick walls, and the kitchen is black and white with this checkered floor. Then there's this balcony right off the living room with the best view of the town, but there are also these huge windows that bring in so much natural light, it's insane. It has an excellent layout, too, with a lot of space for Mia and me to still be able to do our things separately. I think you would have liked this place. But I guess I'll have to add that to the long list of things I'll never truly know because you're not here to experience them with me." I closed my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose right by my tear ducts.

I sat frozen like that until I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. That was my sign to go.

I stood up, brushing off my jeans. "Just because I'm a few hours away now doesn't mean I won't visit as often anymore. I'll come whenever I can, and when I do, hopefully, I'll have more good things to tell you about."

My memories took me back to elementary school when I came home and found dad in the kitchen, meal prepping for dinner.

"Dad, you want to hear about my day?" I would ask him eagerly. I already knew what we would say, I asked him this every day, and he always gave me the same response.

"Sure, Grey. Tell me something good." He would say with a grin.

And that was our thing.

One of the many things I still couldn't help but miss.

"See you later, Dad." I walked back to the car and drove off.

Back at home, I placed my car keys on the kitchen counter and called out for my mom. "MOM?"