Chapter 9

Dylan woke up that morning and got out of bed. He looked around and didn't see Max. "Must've already went to work." He thought to himself while heading to the kitchen. He made some breakfast and turned on the tv. As he ate he heard his phone ring. He answered it. "Hello?"
"Hey Dylan. It's Jade. Have you seen Max?"
"Isn't he at work?"
"No I haven't seen him all day."
Dylan's heart sank at the thought that Max might actually be gone this time. Just like his dream. "W-Well he's not here. I don't know where he could be." His voice became shaky. "Oh sweetheart. I'm sure he's okay. If you want I can keep you company until we figure this out."
"Please. I'm scared."
"Alright honey. I'll be there as soon as possible." Jade left work and got to Dylan's apartment in 10 minutes. As she walked in Dylan turned to her. "Oh thank god. You're here." Before she could even get a word out Dylan's phone rang. He picked it up. "It's Max." He said before answering. "Hello."
"Hey sweetheart." The voice that answered Dylan sounded like Max but he sounded really worried. "What's wrong?" Dylan asked his heart rate quickening. "Well love bug daddy's got involved with some really bad people. These men were the ones paying for our bills when I didn't have a job. I owe them a debt and since I didn't repay it they have me now." Dylan was silent for a long time. He couldn't believe what he'd just heard. "But will I ever see you again?" He asked choking back tears. "I don't know. I-" The phone cut out before Max finished speaking and Dylan only assumed the worst. He ran over to Jade and latched onto her crying. "Why did this happen to him? He doesn't deserve this." Dylan sobbed. Jade stroked his hair trying to keep him calm while also trying to stay calm herself. "I know honey, I know. No one deserves this but we'll figure it out. We'll catch the guys who took him." Dylan looked into her eyes. "But will we?" For the first time Jade didn't have an answer. She just held Dylan in her arms trying to get him to relax.

Max was awoken by a bright light shining on his face. "Well well looks like you're awake." The man holding the light said. He was a brute of a man. He had tan skin and piercing silver eyes that sent a shiver down Max's spine. Max looked down and saw he was tied to a chair. Even if he could break free from his bonds there was no way he could get passed the man in front of him. "Yeah I'm awake. Now let me go. I have someone who needs me." The man sneered. "Oh you mean Dylan. Well you won't have to worry. I'm sure your little love bug will be looking for you soon. Then you can have a nice family reunion. For now though I think I'm gonna have some fun with you first. Maybe teach you a lesson to not take my generosity for granted" The man grabbed a truncheon and began beating Max with it. Max cried out as he felt pain rack his body. The beating was merciless and Max couldn't take it anymore more he started to feel all the energy drain from his body. Soon his vision became clouded and as darkness consumed his surroundings he welcomed it.