Destiny Islands Trio: Denial (Kingdom Hearts III Spoilers!)

(A/N: This takes place right after the ending. This is a "What if Sora actually died?" kinda thing.)

Kairi was still sitting on the paopu tree when Riku came to check on her a few hours later.

The sun had gone down an hour ago, inviting the stars and moon for a turn in the sky.

"Sora..."

Riku sat down next to her. "Kairi, let's go. The mayor is worried about you."

"No. I'm waiting for Sora."

Riku sighed. He figured she still hadn't come to terms with what had happened earlier that day. Sora abusing the power of waking, saving Kairi, then vanishing. She probably figured he just left for a while and that he'd come back in the morning.

"Kairi, he's gone." He didn't even try to sugarcoat it.

"No he's not. Sora's right here." She pointed at her heart.

Riku facepalmed. "It's like trying to explain something to a 5 year old..."

"Besides, he'll be back-"

"HE'S DEAD, OKAY? WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?!" He was a bit surprised by his outburst. "I guess Sora's death affected me, too..."

Kairi stared at him, then started crying. She hugged Riku tight.

Riku was a bit surprised by that, and a little embarrassed. But he still hugged her back. "It's all right..."

She pulled away and looked up at him. "B-But he's over there..." She pointed a few feet away from them.

Riku turned around to look, and there he was.

Sora stared at them with an expression that Riku couldn't name. It was a very rare thing to see on Sora's face.

"Sora?"

Then he saw what is was.

Sora was looking at them with disappointment.

"I'm-We're-" Riku tried to make something come out. Tried to apologize to him.

But Sora vanished into thin air.

(A/N: I had no idea what to call this one shot...It went through like 10 names before I settled with denial. I hope you (somehow) enjoyed this, and have a great day!)

Written: September 23rd, 2019