ten ➢ underground sound

april 1, 1993

when clif told his boy the day and time of his first booked 'set' was on none other that april fool's, nas laughed so hard that his sides hurt a little.

"ha ha. it's so funny. laugh right to the bank with ya bread too" clif mumbled puffing at the spliff he just sparked.

nas turned his nose up and scowled, "relax. just busting ya balls"

they'd go back and forth until it was time to get jungle from his after school program, but to both of their surprise he had been suspended.

"he sure is" the man who sat behind the check in desk mumbled over his stack of paperwork, "sent him home with a slip yesterday"

"that doesn't sound like jungle" clif shot back flicking a paper clip pasted the man and gave an apologetic grin when they made eye contact.

"gambling is very much against the rules" he spoke sounding less and less interested with every word.

"gambling?" nas repeatedly clearly dumbfounded wth his eyebrows in the center of his forehead.

"yes you heard me correctly" he replied; indifferent.

nasir usual scowl formed on his face and clif knew all too well that was their cue to exit. nasir was quiet most of the train ride back on their side of town and his boy knew it was best that he stayed that way. too much was running through his mind and if his mouth was moving he was a ticking time bomb. they shook up before going their separate ways, nasir own thought getting louder with every dragged footstep.

gambling? his little knucklehead brother gambling? he tried to keep all those things away from him - it was bad enough he did hood rat shit most of the time. he didn't take him around most of his boys because he knew what they were up to and where they were headed; nowhere. he didn't want a life like that for himself and especially not for jungle. how long had he be shooting dice?

he shuddered at the thought walking through the damp new york air. what made matters worse was he didn't know where the fuck he could possible be passing the time while he was supposed to be doing something productive. the program was for project kids to come together and just be kids - hoop, dance, and race until their adrenaline was ran thin - even if it was only for a few hours a day.

he walked up the stairs of his building and found his little brother swaying back and forth outside of their door staring off in space.

"i should knock your fucking head off your shoulders right now yo" nas spat scowl intact. jungle gulped clearly intimated before speaking.

"i-i was going to explain-"

"that you gambling? shooting dice? you think that shit is cool?! you not there to do that type of shit" his voice boomed as he edged closer and closer to his younger sibling.

"i just wanted some cash" jungle shrugged causing nas to roll his eyes.

"motherfuckers lose they life behind that shit jungle" he sent jabs to his chest with every word than turned to unlock the door.

"i wasn't thinking-" again nas interrupted him yanking the door open to let him inside.

"that's your fucking problem! you wasn't thinking! all money ain't good money" he shoved him.

"i'm sorry nas. i won't do it again" he spoke with his eyes to the floor - slumped into the sofa. nas sighed and walked into the kitchen not saying anything else to him until the quick meal he prepared was finished.

for the days following all he thought about was his brother - even during clif's sound checks and a little during the meeting with the bar's owner. he almost hired a babysitter the night of the actual gig. the moment they stepped inside of the bar though the only thing on his mind was his paper.

they'd given the dj his mix earlier that week, the only thing that mattered now was how well clif and the crew performed. the house wasn't too pack, but business was definitely booming. clif was more energetic than usual, if that was possible, and that actually put his friend in a good spot. the stage manager came back and let the small group of guys know they'd be up next before rushing back out with two thumbs up. they said a small prayer before most of them made their way to the stage besides nas and some other geek. he was more of the writer/engineer type guy. he watched from backstage making sure to stay in the shadows.

he bobbed his head and rapped along during most of the set before heading to the bar for something to drink. all the warm bodies made the building hotter than the streets of new york as the music continued to bounce off the walls.

"what can i get you?" the bartender smiled as she gave him her attention.

"just a bottle water please" he shouted over the drunk people who surrounded the wide bar.

"no problem" she sent him a wink before reaching into a cooler and handing him the bottle. he paid her before making his way behind the crowd that gathered around the small stage. apparently people were vibing to their blunt hip hop; his words. he smirked; those honey eyes moving from person to person taking in their enjoyment of their sound.

his eyes landed on a beautiful lightskin queen with a her hair slicked back into a bun. he wasn't so sure why he felt the need to take in her entirely - yes she was beyond gorgeous, just not the one for him. she had some type of gym bag slung over her shoulder seeming to be an outsider clearly not from around town. she nodded along and bit on her bottom lip displaying her sweet dimples as she eyed clif. at that nas chuckled and made his way backstage planning to let his guy know he might have earn his first groupie.

a/n:
this update was long overdue but i've been whew going back to school has been 🤯 anyways i hope you enjoyed! thanks for all the love! also don't ever be afraid to drop a comment or sum 🖤