What I've Become

As I shook his cold hand, a burning sensation had transferred to my body. I felt as if I were in a sauna! I pulled free my hand from his and took off my shirt, along with pants so that I was in my underwear hoping that I would cool down, but it only got worse. "Gyuh!" I moaned and groaned as the heat increased, and my sweat glands drenched my body with moist liquids.

"What's happening to me!" I asked the man in front of me, just eager to hear an answer.

"Hahahahahaha! Little boy, do you know what you were chanting the other day when you had begun the ritual?!"

At that point, my mouth was becoming dry, as my throat grew quite parched. I ran to the kitchen and took out a water bottle from the refrigerator, pouring the cold contents onto my wrinkled tongue, giving moisture to my outer body, and my insides. "Just answer my question, you demon!" The "human" had let out a breathless, shrieking laugh. "YOU GAVE AWAY YOUR BODY TO ME BOY!" He exclaimed. I was quite infuriated at myself for having not listened to mother, but I knew that I had to keep it a secret from her. I would eventually pass out from the heat, and wake up in the hospital with my mom sitting at the head of the bed, weeping. Looking up at the clock, I noticed that I was out cold er... hot for hours!

Mother would look up to see me awake, and hug me. Just then, I noticed that my skin was red-ish. "G-Gaa!" Mom would jerk back screaming, and immediately lift up her arms up to look at them. She had second-degree burns all across the fronts of them, only in the areas that made contact with my skin. "Mom I-" She interrupted me in a voice that sounded like she'd been scared. "Why is your skin hot?!" She cried, high pitched. "I don't know!" I responded, now in fear that she would find out about my wrongdoing. Mother called the doctor over to take my temperature, and it showed to be nearly 160 °F.

"Mrs. Wilsmith, this boy's body temperature is high enough to burn flesh to the degree of the second. I'd say you avoid making any skin contact until further notice. We're gonna run tests on him, to see what's causing such heat in this small body of his."

Mother would become fearful of the results of the test, and nod in agreement.

"Don't worry Mrs; I think he'll be fine. He's already considered to be a living miracle, because his enneads should've burned open from such temperatures, causing him to have a hemorrhagic shock, and near-immediate death."

Mother nodded and began crying plenty more. The doctors placed me down in a wheelchair and took me to another room only to begin running tests on me and taking samples of my blood and urine. Tests showed that my blood too, boiled, so the doctors make me take an ice bath, which lowered my body temperature a tad. Scratch that, quite a lot, actually. They decided to keep me for two days more so that they could continue such tests. I stayed silent the whole time, wondering of what outcome of all that would be.

The day I came home, my mother hugged me tight, planting a big kiss on my wide forehead. "Daniel, the truth. I want the truth, and that only, so please don't give me any half-ways. I'll take your word for it, so just please tell me if you conducted the ritual or not." She was at the point of tears, and I felt bad lying, but I'd feel worse seeing her in a depressed state, seeing that I did do it. I decided to partially lie, and tell her the half-truth, though she wished otherwise.

"Mother, I didn't do the ritual, but Lucifer visited me in my dreams, and told me to do it. He then visited me as soon as you left for work to do something to my body. I'm sorry that I hadn't told you sooner." She held me tight in her arms and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek. "After hearing of this, I find it quite applicable to take you to a church. Get dressed in some new clothes, we're going now."

I sat there silently in the car, as mom drove down the road. Quite a lot of thoughts entering and leaving my head. Some about what will happen after church, and some about why my pale skin never phased mother. We end up at the church, to see all the priests turn to look at me. Whispers filled the room.