The One Enslaved

I felt something cold slam against my head. My hearing was quite impared, and I heard Lamont's screams. I woke up in a room, against a wall facing down. Shackles all over me. On my arms, legs, and neck. I turn my head to the side a tad, and through blurs, I see Lamont lying on the floor beside me. "What happened?" I ask. He just turned to his side, and looked at me in the eyes.

I look over and across the room, and another cell just like mine was there, only five meters away. A man facing the wall just sat there. Dirty clothes, a cigarette in his mouth, and a log that lay rested over his shoulder, held in his left hand. He was twiddling a shotgun shell between his fingers in the right hand; then pressed the tip against the hard stone wall, pulling it down, creating a long vertical line.

He lifted the bullet off the wall, gently blowing on it, before placing it back down, and drawing a long horizontal line, that connected to the bottom of the vertical one. The man pulls the cigarette out from between his lips, blowing out a cloud of smoke. "The discord between the lord above, and the one below creates a world quite hectic." He says.

"Do you know where we are?" I ask him. "Eighty Five meters below the earth's crust." The man places the cigarette in his mouth, inhaling to take another puff of cancer smoke. He coughs hard, spitting out the cigarette. The man looked to be in his late fifties, and very well shouldn't be smoking at his age.

"Your friend there is having trouble sitting up or talking."

"W-Why?"

"Boy didn't I tell you that we're eighty five meters down? This means the pull of gravity is stronger on our bodies, judging by the fact that we're pulled down to the center of the earth." The man seemed to know much about geography, but his logic made no sense. How could the two of us have no problem sitting up? I decided not to ask, and turned toward Lamont, attempting to lift him from the ground.

"I was a blasphemous child, and look where it got me. Child we're both the same. Ones powered by a demon's spirit which grants us the ability to live in such harsh environments, enabling us to not be affected by the gravity's strength this deep in the earth, no more than how much we're affected on the surface." I turn my focus to the man, who's now facing me, sitting beside a drawing of a spire on the walls of his cell.

"Visit this place if you wish to be free. Hell's sacred spire that brings one's trapped in here back to the surface. It should be in the throne room. I guarantee you've been there before." He coughs on his hand, and moves it back to reveal drops of blood on it. "If you knew how to get out for so long, why did you choose to reside in hell?" I ask him.

"The answer is simple young one. I have nowhere else to go. I was disowned by my family, and have already retired. No children to go home to, no money left over. All I have is hell. A place that I'll get used to calling home. I just sit around telling the newcomers how to escape this place. My life is dedicated to helping others, so I chose to stay here."

He throws his cigarette on the floor and steps it out. "Press on the wall behind you. There's a panel that you should windup accidentally pushing. It will open a hole in the wall. I came here with a friend too, but he was in that cell rather than mine. He was quite smart, and built a passageway for others to escape through." I nod, and began to feel around.

The man writes something on a piece of paper, and folds it into a paper plane, throwing it to my cell. I pick it up, unfold it and read it. A key sat in the middle of the folds, which I used to undo my shackles. "What is this?" I ask him. "Darrel my friend's address. He's a very religious person, and knows most things. He might know how to stop Lucifer in his tracks on the long road of disastrous events. Visit him and he can help you put an end to Lucifer. Tell him I said hi by the way." I place the paper in my pocket, and begin to feel around again.

"How did you know that was what I wanted?" I ask. He just sits in silence, ignoring my question. I just sigh. I hear a click sound, followed by the wall opening up. "Jackpot!" I happily exclaim. I lift Lamont over my shoulder, and walk out of that place, making my way up seemingly endless flights of stairs. I stop to take breaks after every two flights, to regain my energy. Momentarily, gravity's pull weakens allowing Lamont to be able to walk again.

"Danny who was that guy? Why did you speak to him like you knew him?" I just shrugged and placed him down. We continue up two more flights before noticing an elevator. "Oh thank god! Why didn't this show up any sooner?" I ask. "It's hell Danny. What do you expect?" We head into the elevator, reaching the floor of the throne room. Stopped in our tracks, Lucifer is on the throne, and takes notice of the two of us.

"Gimme a break!" Exclaims Lamont. "Jesus christ!" I say, with my timing in sync with his.