Part 19: Aftermath

King Lamar Duckworth was layed to rest on September 29, 2013. His funeral was at Faith inspirational Missionary Baptist Church in Compton, California. It was the hardest day of both of their lives. At the gravesite stood 150 people, Denise with a black ruffled shirt, black pen skirts, and sunglasses watched her son's baby blue casket get lowered into the ground topped with white roses. Paralyzed she had cried all her tears dry. Kendrick grabbed her hand to walk her to the car. They went to the repass which was held at his mom's house, now they were on their way to Denise's house.

Kendrick: I'll run you a bath when you get home.

Denise: *looking out the window* ok

Kendrick: you have to eat something when we get there.

Denise: I guess.

Kendrick: why did you tell everybody that offered to come over and be with you, not to come over?

Denise: I Just wanna be alone.

Kendrick: baby look I understand, but you need to be around people that love you. It will make things easier.

Denise didn't respond as they drove up the driveway .she loved Andrea and Tink but She just wanted to change her clothes and lay down. Denise took her bath and went straight to sleep. Kendrick stood outside returning a phone call from earlier.

Woman's voice: I should not even talk to you.

Kendrick: why? What's the problem now?

W: I haven't seen you in weeks, and you got some girl pregnant Kendrick?

Kendrick: no, my friend's son passed....I was just helping her out. The father isn't present.

W: are you seriously gonna lie like that?

Kendrick: why would I lie? I don't have time to be with some other women when I'm with you. I miss you.

W: I'm so tired of dealing with your bullshit, I swear I am.

Kendrick: baby, I'm free tomorrow...maybe we can spend the day together tomorrow?

W: I guess Kendrick, you owe me.

Kendrick: I'll make it up to you, I promise.

W: Sure, sure...we'll see

Kendrick: I gotta call you back, I'm writing this track.

W: Okay I love you.

Kendrick: I love you too.

Kendrick knew he couldn't leave Denise alone right now. He called Tink and told her that she and Andrea should come over tomorrow. Denise needed them for comfort anyways. Of course, they agreed and it was a date. Denise had been sleeping since 5 pm yesterday, 5:16 AM she woke to see Ken next to her she climbed out of bed and walked the hallway. Standing in front of a door with a gold crown she slowly opened it to see King's room. It was being designed while they were on tour. The wall had "King" in gold letters, large posters of sheet music "sing about me" and other songs that Kendrick selected. Music notes are painted on the wall and empty picture frames. It was unfinished but it was still so unique and beautiful. Denise held he mouth....she felt like she was about to throw up, cry, and die all at the same time. She sat in the cream rocking chair that was placed in the corner. She imagined herself rocking King to sleep. Her office was no longer the place she felt the safest, this was.

Later that morning

Doorbell: Andrea: Knock, knock

Kendrick: *opens the door* hey yall thanks for coming. *they hug*