Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:

I stopped keeping count of how many days passed by...after about a month. Veronica gave up after the first week. Luna wasn't counting the days, but she tried keeping up with her positive attitude. It wasn't working. The Goblin, whose name was Griphook, was rather miserable. He added to our parade of misery. Days were dark and cold, I felt as if I was living inside a circle of dementors. There were days were Veronica and I didn't even say anything. We just laid there on the floor. I was still chained to the pole and had to watch my friends get tortured by the Cruciatus curse. Lately, I couldn't find the point in surviving and nor could Veronica.

"Scarlett," someone said poking me from my shoulder and I slightly turned my head to the side to see who it was. I could barely keep my eyes open, but from what I saw it was Elvira. 

"How's Silvius?" I asked quietly, it's been killing me to know where he was. 

"Not back, but from what I've heard find." I wondered why Elvira was here, we never really were on great terms. She was sitting next to me and she reached into her pocket to pull out a few rolls of bread. "Here."

"Why are you giving these to me?" I asked.

"Don't think of it as me helping you," she responded in her usual tone. "Just think of it as me saying...you're...er, right. In a way. Slightly, right." I could tell whatever she was trying to tell me was hard for her. I wondered what she thought I was right about, because in Elvira's world she was never wrong.

"About what?"

"I don't want a life like yours."

"Wow, thanks," I replied sarcastically remembering back when Elvira burnt my books. She was jealous that I was living the oh so 'exciting life' when she was stuck going to a typical school and living under parent's strict rules. "It only took seeing me chained in the basement, watching my best friend be tortured, to get you to realize that?"

It was dark down hair so I could barely see her expressions but I watched as she nodded. "I better be going, I don't want to end up down here like you." She got up and took off, again I would never understand Elvira. Then a few more days passed. I didn't eat all of the bread. I had a bite and then rolled them over to Luna and Griphook. Veronica was refusing to eat, she was protesting. Not like the Death Eaters even cared if she died, I did. I tried forcing her but I was currently chained and couldn't get over to her.

Then even more days passed and time was slipping away from us. I was positive we'd die down here. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and felt that familiar sinking of the heart. Every time they came down the steps, someone got hurt. "Surviving are we?" Bellatrix spoke as she skipped down the stairs. Behind her were a few others I didn't know, Dane, and...Draco. I hadn't seen him since the last time when he had to torture Veronica.

I watched as Veronica was pulled up into a standing position. "We're here for some answers," Dane announced coldly as he stood close to Veronica. They couldn't torture her, she couldn't take it anymore. It was killing her. Suddenly I was pulled into a standing position and thought my legs may give out from underneath me. I hadn't stood in so long. I was behind held up by a strong Death Eater and I quickly made eye contact by Draco. He looked sick.

"This time the table's turn," Bellatrix said with a smile. "Ms. Mason here will be doing the answers...and if she doesn't answer them, Ms. Nyx will pay the cost." Veronica and I made eye contact for the first time in a long time. I shook my head, they were lying. Cruciatus curse only knocked me out, they were tricking her. "And this time, I can be very convincing." That's when Bellatrix pulled out what looked to be a small knife.

I made eye contact with Draco once more, who I could tell was trying to not look at me. He was surrounded by even more Death Eaters than Veronica, they were testing him. Bellatrix came close behind me and pressed it to the side of my neck. I quickly looked at Veronica and her eyes were widened with anger. Bellatrix pressed the neck to the side of my neck under my ear. I held my breath, in fear of what she may do. She was someone who was never just talk, she carried out her actions. "Now," Bellatrix began pressing it a little closer so I could feel the coldness of the blade. "Where is Harry Potter?"

"I don't know..." Veronica answered honestly. Bellatrix must have believed she was lying and sliced me across the cheek, I let out a small scream as she scrapped me a bit. It stung and I noticed Draco took a step but held back. Then she pressed it back against my neck. "Stop! I don't know! I haven't spoken with Harry in months!" she was now screaming at Bellatrix.

"When was the last time you spoke with him?"

"The wedding." Bellatrix wanted more, and she pushed the knife harder causing me to squint my face but I held back any scream. I didn't want Veronica to give away any information, but I didn't want to die like this either. "I don't know where he went from there," Veronica continued saying, "We took off and didn't see where they went! I swear."

Bellatrix slowly lowered her hand and the knife away from my neck. I suddenly realized how frozen I was and how I couldn't even move. Draco was staring at me but showed no emotion. "Alright," Bellatrix said taking a few steps away from me, but she turned back around quickly. "If I discover that either of you know anything..." She didn't even have to finish that sentence, she held up the knife and we both knew what she meant.