The "Practice"

@kayceesbow
what do you think kaycee's doing right now
|
@stacyloveskaycee
i bet something really interesting. like knitting
|
@seayceeee
knitting? definitely not. maybe her and sean are hanging out 👀
|
@rosesforrice
nope that's impossible. she's probably dancing as always
|
@kayceerice
i'm making rolls
|
@kayceesbow
LMAO KAYCEE OMGMRJSJEJE
••

"Damn it!"

Kaycee raced into the kitchen, putting on oven mitts and opening the oven door. The smoke which shot out and practically smacked her in the face made her cough, and then groan, and then cough again. She used a mitt to fan it so the fire alarm wouldn't go off, and then ran to open the back door so as to let it all out.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket as she slid the blackened rolls out of the oven and onto the counter, a disheartened sigh escaping her mouth. She took off a mitt, angrily threw it beside the rolls, and answered the call, putting the phone to her ear.

"Hi, whoever this is, it's not really the time. I'm trying to get things ready for-"

"Kayc? You good?" Sean's voice cuts her off. She doesn't even try to hide her groan.

It was almost noon, meaning Tahani had left her to her own devices two hours ago. After a long, detailed conversation about how exactly she should practice chemistry, Kaycee was feeling exhausted and, honestly, terrified. But Tahani made her promise she'd follow through, so... here she was. Burning rolls and racing around like a maniac before she'd even think about calling Sean.

Taking another look at the rolls, and then realizing she was keeping him waiting, she shakes her head. "Once again, Sean, now isn't really the time."

"Why?" He asks. She envied how calm he seemed. Just wait till I tell you...

With a laugh, sounding borderline insane, she continues, "I burned my rolls! Rolls, Sean! The kind that everyone can make- my 10 year old cousin made them by herself once!"

He laughed loudly. "Really? Wow. I don't even know what to say to that." He paused. "Are you expecting guests over or something? I can call later-"

"Yeah, but I'll get to that in a second. Anyways, I'm putting you on speaker for a second while I- while I scrape these things out of the pan. Geez, that's disgusting"

She hits the speaker button and sets the phone on the counter as she moves to grab the pan. Quickly, as if he knew what she was thinking, he says, "Remember it's probably still hot, so you need-"

"Shitballs!" she exclaims, pulling a burnt palm away from the pan at lightning speed. "The stupid thing is still hot!"

"I literally just said that. Did you not listen to anything I was saying?"

She huffs. "Do I ever?"

He makes a tsk sound. "I guess you're right. Put it under cold water"

"Put what under cold water?"

"Your hand, genius" He states. She rolls her eyes, but follows his instructions, cringing at the sting at first but eventually feeling relief. He speaks up again, "You went quiet, so I'm assuming you did it"