Fitting In

CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5

Zoe lets out a sigh of boredom as she sat between Mal and Evie during their Remedial Goodness class.
"If someone hands you a crying baby, do you, a, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or d, carve out its heart?" Fairy Godmother asks as she points to the board. Evie was the first to raise her hand. "Evie."
"What was the second one?" Evie asks and Mal gives her a 'really' look. Zoe got lost in thought as she looked at what Mal was drawing. It is Fairy Godmother's wand.
"Oh, okay. Anyone else?" Fairy Godmother asks. "Zoe?"
"C, give it a bottle," Zoe answers correctly once again.
"Correct. Again," Fairy Godmother says with a smile.
"You are on fire, girl!" Carlos says causing Zoe to smile.
"Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun," Mal tells them causing Zoe to nod her head in agreement.
"That makes so much sense," Evie says before a girl walks into the room and squeaks as she walks between Mal and Carlos.
"Oh. Hello, dear one," Fairy Godmother says.
"Hi. You need to sign off on early
dismissal for the coronation," The girl says as she hands the paper to Fairy Godmother.
"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?" Fairy Godmother says causing Jane to frown.
"Mom, no!" Jane pleads.
"It's okay. Jane, this is everyone," Fairy Godmother introduces. Mal and Zoe quickly share a smirk as they start to figure out a plan to use her to get the wand.
"Hi. That's okay, don't mind me. As you were," Jane says before she rushes out of the classroom with a squeal.
"Ahem. Let's continue," Fairy Godmother says excitedly. "You find a vial of poison. Do you, a, put it in the king's wine? B, paint it on an apple? Or c, turn it over to the proper authorities?" Evie's, Carlos', And Jay's hands all shoot up.
"Oh! Ooh... get off," Carlos says as Jay holds his hand down.
"Jay," Fairy Godmother calls.
"C. You turn it over to the proper authorities," Jay answers with a smirk.
"I was gonna say that," Carlos says with a pout.
"But I said it first," Jay says before wrapping an arm around Carlos' head. "Come here!" He then starts rubbing his knuckles in Carlos' hair giving him a noogie. "Come on, who said it first? Who said it first?"
"Boys," Fairy Godmother calls while tapping on the board. "Boys!" Carlos And Jay then stop acting up. "I am gonna encourage you to use that energy on the tourney field."
"Oh, no. That's okay. Whatever that is, We'll... We'll pass," Carlos says as they get up. Zoe met up with Mal and Evie at their lockers. They had each done their own Long Live Evil tag on their lockers.
"Those kids are trouble," A boy walking with Ben and Audrey says as they stop to look at the villain girls.
"Bye, Zo, Mal," Evie says before she walks off.
"Come on, Chad. Give them a chance," Ben says as Mal starts going through her spell book. Zoe and Mal had talked about using Jane to get to the magic wand, even though Zoe was still confused on what she wanted to do.
"Oh. No offense, Bennybear, but you're just too trusting," Audrey says as she takes Ben's hands causing Zoe to roll her eyes. "Look, I know your mom fell in love with a big nasty beast who turned out to be a prince. But with my mom, the evil fairy was just the evil fairy. That girl's mother. And that girl's mother helped enslave Chad's mother."
"I think you're wrong about them," Ben says. "I'll see you later." Ben then starts walking over to Zoe and Mal as Chad and Audrey walk away. Mal walks around the corner as she sees Ben approaching. Zoe closes her locker to find Ben on the other side. "Hey!"
"Hey," Zoe says with a small smile.
"How was your first day?" Ben asks with a smile.
"Super," Zoe says with a giggle. There was something about Ben that made it so easy to be nice to him but something that also made her have butterflies.
"You should really think about taking this talent off the locker and into art class. I could, uh, sign you up. What do you think?" Ben says as he looks at her locker. Jane walks by with a little squeak and Zoe watches her go before Mal follows her.
"Way to take all the fun out of it," Zoe answers as she turns back to Ben with a small smirk. She sends him a wink before following after Mal and Jane.
"Huh," Ben says with a smile as he leans against the lockers. There was something about Zoe that just made him want to be near her.
"Hi! It's Jane, right?" Zoe asks as she and Mal walk into the restroom where Jane is.
"Ah, I always loved that name. Jane," Mal says with a giggle.
"That's cool," Jane says before turning to leave.
"Don't go!" Mal says quickly making Jane stop. "I guess we were  just kind of hoping to make a friend."
"Yeah, You probably have all the
friends you need though, huh?" Zoe says in agreement with a fake frown.
"Hardly," Jane says causing Zoe  to actually frown.
"Really? I mean, with your mom being Fairy Godmother and headmistress?" Zoe asks shocked.
"I mean, not to mention your own, um... personality," Mal adds and Zoe hoped it wasn't too mean.
"I'd rather be pretty. You've both got great hair," Jane says causing Zoe to smile and play with her hair.
"You know what? She has just the thing for that," Zoe says excitedly while looking at Mal.
"It's right... Ah, here," Mal says as she pulls out her spell book before opening it to a certain spell. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand new hair." Mal moves her finger around causing Jane's head to move before her hair becomes long and curled.
"Wow!" Zoe says excitedly before Jane turns to look in the mirror before getting a big smile on her face.
"You almost don't notice your... Other features anymore," Mal says causing Zoe to slightly frown at how Mal always has a hint of mean  in everything.
"Do my nose!" Jane says excitedly while tapping the Book.
"Oh, I can't. I've been practicing, but you know, I can't do really big magic," Mal says causing Jane to frown. "Not like your mom with her wand. I mean, one swoosh from that thing and you could probably have whatever features you wanted."
"She doesn't use the wand anymore. She believes the real magic is in the books. And not the spell books, regular books with history and stuff," Jane explains causing Zoe to frown.
"What a rip," Mal says before Zoe elbows her in the side for being mean. "You know, she used magic on Cinderella, who wasn't even her real daughter. Doesn't she love you?"
"Well, of course she does. It's... It's just, you know, tough love. 'Work on the inside, not the outside.' You know, that sort of thing," Jane explains with a frown.
"That's the face!" Zoe says. "Yeah, and then just look as if your...your heart is about to break. 'Oh, mother, I just don't understand why you can't make me beautiful, too.'."
"Think it would work?" Jane asks.
"Yeah. I mean, that's what old Cindy did, right? And your mother Bibbidi-bobbidi-booed the living daylights out of her," Zoe says giving Jane hope and causing her to smile.
"And, hey, if your mom does decide to, you know, break out the old wand, invite us," Mal says as she sits on the counter.
"If I can convince mom, you're both so there," Jane says excitedly.
"Yay!" Zoe and Mal both say.
"Bye," Jane says before she rushes off. Zoe and Mal share a victory smirk before heading to class.