Chapter 12 | | Twisted Fates

I run and run for whoever knows how long until my legs give out and I fall to the ground. I'm in the garden as the tall trees loom over me, covering me from the warm sunlight. I lean against a nearby tree trying to calm myself down. By the time I've calmed down, I hear soft footsteps on the grass behind the tree I leaning on. 

I knew it was Lucas. He'd wanted to apologize or some shit. But I could care less. What I wanted was to be alone. Alone with my thoughts.

Lucas doesn't say anything which pisses me more off as he sits down behind the tree I was leaning on. Our backs are opposite of one another, leaning against one tree as the wind calmly blows, with silence lingering.

"Spit it out." I spat as the anger I tried to calm down rises back up.

A sigh comes from behind me. "Do you know how hard it is to try to keep your distance from someone you care about?"

I sit in silence, processing what Lucas had said. All the anger I had, died down and there was only an empty void sustaining my sanity. My hands lie on the soft grass when I feel the warmth of someone else's hand touch mine.

 My hands lie on the soft grass when I feel the warmth of someone else's hand touch mine

I turn and was in shock to see Lucas' older version's lips part my right hand. The ring Lucas had given me was right back on my finger as if I had never taken it off and thrown it at him. He lets go of my hand but when I try to meet him in the eyes, he had already disappeared without saying anything else.

 He lets go of my hand but when I try to meet him in the eyes, he had already disappeared without saying anything else

"Fuck . . ." I put my arm over my eyes. "Now he makes me look like the villain."

I lean back against the tree as my eyes slowly close themselves. I had drifted off to dreamland even after the roller coaster of events.

- The Next Day -

Yesterday was a wild and exhausting day. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on Lucas. I get up from my bed and change because I was having tea with Claude soon.

Once I was done I exit my room having one final glance at my vanity's mirror. There was nothing wrong with the mirror this time, but I get a feeling that my time at the Obelian Empire was going to be over soon. I couldn't understand why I got this feeling.