Chapter 13

You hadn't really noticed how much time had passed.

Sitting on a log under a tree, you fumbled with your paper. Maybe it wasn't too nice to ignore Max like that - maybe you shouldn't have been so dismissive. Besides, either way, Neil was probably going to tell Max what you were trying to hide.

"Heya, Y/n!"

The cheery voice of Nikki makes you look up from your paper.

"Hey, Nikki."

The relationship between you two wasn't the greatest of bonds

The relationship between you two wasn't the greatest of bonds. After what she did to Max, it set you off a little. You knew she didn't actually mean to get him hurt, but you wondered if she could've done better.

As you watched Nikki take a seat next to you on the log, you looked down at your paper again.

"So you got Juliet, huh? I had to be Juliet last year. That blowed." 

You didn't really feel like talking to her, but you appreciated her company. Attempting to continue the conversation, you turn towards her.

"So I've heard. What was it like? Neil was really dismissive about it."

"That's because he was Romeo. And also, this girl called Tabii kinda took my place and nearly smooched him up. The whole ordeal was a massive mess." After she said that, you chuckled a little. Oh boy, what a massive conundrum that must've been. 

Then there was a moment of silence.

You knew that she didn't come out here for no reason. She wasn't that close to you, either. Why would she come looking for you if she wasn't going to ask something?

"So, what did you really come out here for? I know you wouldn't have come into the forest just to look for me. Spill the beans."

For a moment, Nikki giggled. She looked up at you with a cheery smile.

"Oh, what a smarty pants you are. I've..just had a little bit on my mind, that's all. You wouldn't mind if I asked you a personal question, would you?"

Depends on what it is.

"Nah, go ahead."

"Do you like Max?"

O h c r a p.

"W-What?!"

She's onto me. She's onto me! AaAaaaA-

"Do you like Max, Y/n?"

"N-no! That's—that's a stupid question! Why are you even asking me?!-that's—"

You sigh. You can already feel your face getting warmer.

"..You're lying."

"What?! N-no! I'm not—why would I be lying?"

Nikki smiles slyly.

"Because of the way you're denying it."

You—

Crap.

"So what if I deny it? It's like you're telling me that either way, the answer is yes! That's not fair!"

Nikki smiles again, and pats me on the back.

"Silly Y/n. It's not the fact that you're denying it, it's the way you're denying it."

Well.

She has a point.

I'm screwed.

"..How do you know if that's true?" As a last effort, you question Nikki's logic.

"It's something my mom taught me. It's called 'body language' or something."

There was no way you could win this.

You needed to tell her.

Taking in a deep breath, you say:

"OkayikindadohaveacrushonMaxbutidontthinkhellikesme"

...

..why did I tell her that?!