Chapter 32

Nikki?

You jump up and slightly wince before watching David skittishly run out of the tent himself.
"What about her..?" Max says, and you take that as a queue to begin walking. However, when you take the first step, you feel a massive amount of pain.
"Shi—"
"Woah, Y/n. Are you alright?"
Max jumps in front of you and grabs you just before you fall. Grabbing onto his shoulders, you sigh.
"My damn leg is screwed, Max."
He frowns.
"Ouch. Do you need me to..help you outside, or.."
"No. I'm okay. Thanks."
Carefully, you release your hands from Max's shoulders and stabilise yourself.
"Let's go."

~~~

David stood by the huge crowd hoping to see Nikki in the mass of it all. The ambulance lights were somewhat blinding - and despite it being broad daylight, he had to shield his eyes so he could see a little better.
"I was stupid to think this would work out, David.."
Gwen's cautious voice made him turn his head.
"Don't be like that, Gwen. It'll be fine."
She lets out an exaggerated sigh.
"You don't know that."

There's silence for a moment.
"Did you tell Max and Y/n about what's going to happen?"
David gulps.
"Gwen, I.."
"You didn't, did you?"
David pinches his nose.
"I told them about Nikki, that's all."
She exhales through her nose before placing her hands on her hips.
"They should know the truth. You know it's not just Nikki."
"Gwen—"
"David, stop. Either way, they'll find out they're going home early. Everybody else already knows their parents will be here soon enough, so why can't they find out?"
David fought back the urge to storm off. He had never felt like this before——but seeing his camp in such a despairing shape tore at him.
"But Max's parents, they.."
"They deserve to know, David. It doesn't matter if Max is leaving or not. They deserve to know."

He knew that he shouldn't be disagreeing with Gwen.
He knew it very well.
But he knew that Max liked Y/n. Even if it was just a little bit more than the others, he did. And that's what scared him. Because he didn't know if he'd be able to cope with Y/n not being there. Would he go back to being cynical, and somewhat depressed without her?

He didn't know.
And that was what scared him.

"So, when they show up, we have to tell them. Because if Y/n's parents suddenly waltz up and she doesn't know why, it'll be even more heartbreaking for her to leave Max without notice."
Gwen's last words made David look down at her with a confused glare. She catches him staring - and raises her eyebrow.
"You think I didn't know? David, I've read too many fanfics to know there was at least something going on between them. It's obvious."
He gulps, and his eyes dart back to the crowd.
"I'm just worried for him, Gwen."
"I know you are."
She placed a hand on his back, and rubbed softly with her thumb. It was a pain for both of them to hear that camp Campbell would be ending early — even if Gwen didn't show that she cared all that much.

~~~

Ambulance.
Crowd.
Gwen and David.

Those were the first things that you saw when everything came into focus.

Max was holding your hand as the two of you walked slowly - but when a few of the people turned to look at you, your hands broke contact.

Though, something seemed wrong when the two of you finally showed up.

David and Gwen were in the back, but they were slowly making their way towards the front of the crowd with ease.

They seemed so worried.

For a moment, David glared at you - and you both made eye contact. But, just as quickly as it started, the glare ended and David picked up his pace.

The tall figure of Neil walking up to you made you turn towards him.
"Y/n! I've been waiting..to.."
His eyes dart down at your leg.
"Jesus, why didn't they take you? Your leg looks screwed..!"
You nod.
"I know, right?"
There's a moment of silence.
"I can understand why they took Nikki, though.."
Your eyebrows rise with concern, and Neil notices.
"She's really hurt, Y/n. Really hurt."
You felt a sudden pang of guilt.
It was like Neil's words were being directed right at you.
"So.."
"..So?"

"Camp's ending early, Y/n. Didn't David tell you guys?"

What?
Camp's—

By now, you had completely forgotten that you were even at camp.
To you, this was your home.
Yet..the journey was ending so soon.
You'd have to leave Max.
..I'm such an idiot.
I shouldn't have agreed to drive the car.
Look what it's caused you.

Max was at a loss for words.
"Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me?!"
He throws his hands up in anger and grunts. Neil raises his eyebrows with concern, and says:
"Max—"
"F-Fuck!"
Suddenly, Max storms off.
You're left there, with Neil - as he rushes off into the crowd, fists clenched.

You felt so much pity for the kid.
Yet..
You didn't understand why he ran off like that.
"..I don't understand, I—"
You stop yourself and lock eyes with Neil.
"It's not your fault, Y/n. He always gets like this when Camp ends."
"What do you mean?"
"His parents never come to pick him up, so he gets all sad and angry."
Your eyes widen.
You should've known.
He told you this already.
His parents dropped him off at camp and never came back.
So why would they come back now?

A bunch of mixed emotions went through you at that moment.
Guilt.
Pity.
Anger.
Sadness.
Your mind wandered back to your words before camp stated.

'I don't want to go to camp!'

How silly was that?

Neil gives you a pitiful glare.
"So, who's coming to pick you up?"
You sigh.
"My mom, probably. My dad's never home. He's probably out with some hooker, or something. Because whenever he comes home from a night out at 'work', he looks completely wasted. I bet he's cheating on my mom."

Your sudden remark made Neil tense up.
"..Oh."

"W-Well, I'm gonna..go check on what's happening. Are you coming?"

"Yeah..give me a minute."