Chapter 33

Max ran into the crowd, not caring about the grunts that emerged as he pushed past the campers.
"Watch it!" Someone said.
He didn't care who it was.
Whether it be Neil, or anyone he knew, he didn't care.
He needed to get to the front and talk to David.
He needed to fix this.
As much as he hated camp..
He needed to fix this.
Finally, Max pushed through the remaining campers and made it to the front of the crowd - where both David and Gwen stood idly as they looked up at the tall and lanky policeman who stood in front of him.
Max couldn't hear much over the chit chat behind him, but he could make out David's desperate shrieks.
"Officer, is there any way we can change the penalty? I—I mean—We could pay for the damage like last time, right?"
The policeman gave him an uninterested frown. He, clearly, did not care about anything David said.
"Look," He said, rolling his eyes. "This isn't like last time, sir. Your campers have started a bushfire in the forest. On top of paying for the damage, we're going to have to force you to shut down the camp temporarily to avoid any more trouble."
"But—"
"That will be all."
The policeman finished writing a ticket, and handed it to David.
And then, just as quickly as he had appeared, he left.
And David was left standing there.

Max knew that his question wouldn't matter after what he had just heard, but he wanted to insist anyway.
There had to be another way to fix this.
Rather skittishly, he tapped David's shoulder.
"David."
David didn't reply.
"David!"
His head perked up, and he turned to face Max.
"..Yes, Max?"
Seeing his face mad Max feel pity.
He hated David - but only to an extent. Seeing him in such a bad shape made him feel something.
Something bad.

"I—"
He felt his words clog up in his mouth - and for a moment, he was speechless.
He knew what the answer would be if he tried to ask.
Why was he still trying?
"C-Can't there be.."
David looked down at him with pity.
"..Another way..to fix this..?"

He sighed.
"Max, I—"
Why am I even trying?
Quickly, Max shook his head.
"Never mind. Shut it. I saw what the policeman said. I don't care anymore."
As if the words were flooding out of his mouth, he turned away from David and began to push his way back through the crowd. There weren't as many campers - as all they wanted to do was hear what David was going to say - but that didn't stop Max from hearing the odd grunt every now and then. Once he got out of the crowd, he sighed - and began to walk forward.
That's when he saw you.

You had made your way over slowly - because you knew that your leg was still screwed, but you didn't expect to see a now puffy-eyed Max standing in front of you with wide eyes as he panted furiously.
"Max..?"
"Not right now, Y/n—I—I..need some time alone."
And then he ran off.

Why was he so difficult?

You kept your eyes on Max as he ran away - but when your heard a soft sigh from behind you, you turned your head.
"Y/n."
It was David.
You looked up at him.
"I don't suppose you've heard about what's happening yet, have you?"
You shake your head.
"No, I've heard.."
He sighs.
"I'm sorry this summer was such a mess for you. I honestly didn't want it to be this way..but when you have Max, camp is unpredictable.." he lets out a soft chuckle as he looks down at you and fakes a smile.
But you could tell he wasn't okay.
His eyes didn't match his smile. At all.

Quietly, you wrapped your arms around him.
"It was probably more than I could've asked for. Thanks, David."
He stood silent as you hugged him - and when you let go, you saw that his fake smile had faded. There was now a genuine smile, despite the sadness he felt.
"You're a good kid, Y/n."
"I'm glad Max picked you."

~~~

Max ran into the woods again.
It was a reoccurring place for him to go, for some reason. Whenever he was sad, or—just mad in general, he'd sneak off to the forest and eventually make his way to the hill at the edge. It was a place where he could get away from it all. It was his place.