Chapter 21

Fire.

Humidity.

Unbearable humidity.

It's the dark sense of burning metal that causes you to open your eyes.

You couldn't hear anything but the ringing in your ears.

What happened?

You blink.

You blink again.

Nothing seemed to be coming into focus.

That's when you see the car.

It's barely even a car, if you could call it one. It's flaming, and clearly burning to a crisp. 

Where..

What?

You turn your head, only to find out you can barely turn it at all. Making an honest attempt to sit up, you feel all around your head and search for an injury. 

Is that a wound?

You find a spot on your forehead that was clearly damaged. You don't know if it's a burn mark, or a deep wound - but either way, it was bleeding - and that clearly wasn't the only injury you had. You feel down the side of your neck.

Ouch. A bruise.

You look for a wound on your arm. 

A deep cut.

Your other arm.

Another bruise.

To top it all off, you look down at your legs - which were now significantly bloody. There were a few rips in your jeans - and you could see that's where the grazes had taken form.

Did I..

Did I crash the car?

"Y-Y/n.." someone's voice causes me to turn my head, despite feeling discomfort.

Nikki?

She was laying on the ground, her arm stretched out towards me. She also had a significant amount of cuts and bruises, but that wasn't the worst part.

One of her legs was trapped underneath the burning car.

Shit!

You attempt to crawl towards her, trying to be as careful as possible with your injuries. Your vision had focussed a bit more, so you could see the car a bit better now.

"Y/n..my leg.." She said, whimpering.

This was my fault.

I did this to her.

Crawling up to the car, you're able to get her leg out from underneath the car with a swift movement. That doesn't stop you from noticing the dark bruise on that same spot on her leg, though.

Nikki sits up, and holds her leg.

"Thank..you.." she says, coughing as she does so.

Where's Neil?

You get up on one knee and force yourself to stand up so you could have a better view. Looking forward, you could see a barely conscious Neil on the road, with less cuts and bruises as both you and Nikki. You limp your way towards Neil and help him sit up.

"I'm..Okay, Y/n. Thanks." He uses you as an arm rest and stands up, despite not looking to be in the best shape.

He sees Nikki and limps his way towards her, and she looks up at him. He lifts her up as much as he can and helps her walk towards the nearby grass, so she was out of the smoke's reach.

Max.

Where's Max?

You begin to panic. You can't see him. He's not near the car, he's not near you..he's not with the others..

Where was he?

You force yourself to run back to the burning car, despite the fact that the smoke was excruciating. Coughing, you look through the car's shattered window to see if he was still inside.

And there he was.

"Max..!" You cough, as you attempt to find a way to open the car door. It successfully opens, and you stop for a moment.

He was unconscious.

And he seemed to be even more hurt than Nikki.

Bruises. Cuts. All over him. His hoodie was ripped - so were his jeans. To top it all off, he had also been somewhat burnt. Despite every urge in your body telling you not to do so, you reach into the humid car and get a firm grip on the unconscious, Raven-haired boy.

Summoning all of your strength, you lift him up and safely get him out of the car.

He's in your arms now, and he coughs a little bit before fluttering his eyes open. You place him onto the crass and plop down, holding your forehead.

Taking a seat on the grass, you look over at the burning car.

And then came the tears.