Prologue

"Remember," Professor Hulk was saying as he readies the buttons on the quantum machine. "You have to return the stones at the exact moment you got them, or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty realities."
Steve Roger's walked up to the platform, his hands wrapped firmly around the strap of his famous vibranium shield and the other holding the handle of mjolnir.
"Don't worry, Bruce." He assured his green friend.
"You know, I tried." Bruce started saying to him. "When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back."
Steve's heart burned as his mind clicked to who he was talking about.
"I miss her, man." Bruce said, his face scrunched up mournfully.
"Me too." Steve mumbled, letting out a sad smile to comfort his teammate, while his insides hurt with sorrow and loss.
Natasha Romanoff's face flashed through his mind. Her brows furrowed with determination, her red windblown hair, her smile. That gorgeous smile. If only he'd savoured the last moment he'd seen it.
Steve's thoughts were interrupted by Sam Wilson's words.
"You know, if you want, I can come with you." He suggested.
"You're a good man, Sam," Rogers grinned at his friend in gratitude. "This one's on me, though."
Steve turned towards Bucky Barnes, who stood beside them solemnly.
"Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back." Rogers joked to his best friend. This had been one big adventure, but he was glad that Buck was still somehow with him.
"How can I?" Bucky smirked, "You're taking all the stupid with you." His voice cracked on the last word. He knew Steve, and he also knew what Steve was going to pull off, even before Steve knew it himself. "Gonna miss you, buddy."
"It's gonna be okay, buck." He assured Bucky, and the two pulled each other into a tight hug, which was more meaningful than it appeared at the time.
"How long is this going to take?" Sam asked, as he watched the pair pull apart.
"For him? As long as he needs." Bruce answered, preparing himself at the quantum machine. "For us, five seconds. Ready cap?"
Steve nodded, patting Bucky on the back and heading back over to the machine's platform.
"Alright. We'll meet back here, okay?" The professor checked asked him.
"You bet." He tightened his grip on mjolnir and shuffled his feet.
"Going quantum. Three... two... one..." Bruce flicked some switches and Steve clicked the button on his hand.
Cap felt his body being shrunk and falling through the quantum realm. He just hoped that he wouldn't feel motion sick.