11

Natasha was sat in her apartment, nibbling away at her piece of pizza when a knock sounded from her door. She could only assume it would be Steve, since he was the only person to stop by recently.

It was very peculiar of her to get close to someone, especially as fast as she had with Steve. Of course, she wasn't exactly raised to make loads of friends.

So surprise washed over her when she opened the door to none other than Director Nick Fury.

"Agent Romanoff." He said in greeting, and stepped inside without invitation.

"Fury..." She raised her eyebrow in confusion. "What's up?"

He gave her a look, as if to say duh, you already know. "I have a special mission."

"Is this S.H.I.E.L.D. business or an Avengers level threat?" Nat asked, arms crossed. She could guess which since there wasn't anything on the news that morning.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. There is a high security base in Vermont that needs some checking out. I assumed you'd be up for the challenge?"

"'Course. When do I leave?"

"The sooner the better." Which in Fury's language meant now.

"Great." She accepted, and started to pack up some things from around her apartment, while also grabbing the bag of equipment that Fury'd brought.

"One more thing." He breathed out, just as Natasha was packed up. "We're sending some of our agents along, as per usual, but there is also one more person joining you."

Nat furrowed her eyebrow. It would take a lot to gain Fury's trust, so she knew it'd have to be someone easy to read. Someone who's identity was laid out right in front of him.

...

"So," Steve Rogers began, "what is this mission for exactly?"

"Not sure." Nat rolled her eyes at his questions. As much as she liked the captain's companionship, he asked way too many questions. "We're mostly there to just gain information. The more the better."

"And he trusted me with that?" He was surprised by this.

"What can I say, you're an open book. Everyone knows everything about you." Nat explained as they travelled.

The two were seated in a helicopter, which soured over New York's border. They'd be there just about anytime now.

"I'm from the future of a different timeline."

"Yes, but I'm the only one who knows that so keep your voice down." She commanded in a hushed voice, her eyes glancing across the faces of their fellow agents.

"Agents." The pilot demanded attention. "We are arriving."

As the pair got up, Steve tapped Nat's shoulder.

It was a simple gesture, but for some reason her heart skipped a beat for a slight second as she turned around.

"Why are we travelling by helicopter if we're just crossing states?" He asked, pulling on his parachute.

"Fury loves his helicopters." She shrugged and followed his actions. "Plus we're high enough in the air that it's more secretive."

"Right, a giant machine that flies in the air is secretive." Rogers positioned himself at the edge of the plane, right behind an agent.

As soon as they'd jumped off, Nat motioned for Steve to do the same.

And so, in one quick leap, he was airborn.

He turned and looked upwards, seeing Natasha gliding through the air behind him.