8

The next day, Natasha set off to the restaurant Wendy worked at. She didn't know exactly why, but she needed to know how things were going between her and Steve. Because Steve was her friend, and she wanted him to be happy, that was why.

As she entered the restaurant she immediately came face to face with Wendy, who was working as the hostess on this particular day.

"Oh hi..." Wendy trailed off, trying to place Nat's face to a name.

She smiled half heartedly. "Natasha."

"Right, what can I do for you?" She said, although her voice dropped with fake enthusiasm.

"I don't... know?" Nat admitted, earning herself a look of confusion and impatience from the other woman.

"Well, if this is about Steve then I'm glad it worked out." Wendy huffed.

"What worked out?" Nat questioned, her brow furrowing in confusion.

"Let me just say that if you're going to go out with a someone, make sure not to spend the night talking about another woman." Wendy's face showed resentment towards Natasha, which seemed uncalled for to her.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." Nat squinted at her, trying to read her expression without victory. "Is this about-"

"Steve? Yeah." Wendy interrupted, "Yeah, it's about Steve." A man waved at her and she nodded at him. "Its the end of my shift, so I'll catch you later."

And with that, she was off, leaving Natasha standing with a blank expression and a million questions rushing through her brain.

The previous night...
Steve and Wendy were at dinner, and everything was going smoothly. As she focused on her food, he would steal glances at her. He had to admit, she was a beautiful lady. Although, it was rather weird how he was dating someone who'd be older than him in his own time.

"So, tell me about yourself." She suddenly said, resting both elbows on the table and meeting his eyes with her own.

"Um, what do you wanna know?" He asked, his face reddening with the sudden attention.

"What do you do for a living?" She through out a random question with a shrug of her shoulder and a blink of her dark eyes.

He chuckled to himself. "Well, that's kinda complicated. You see..." I'm a superhero.
It sounded ridiculous. But he glanced at Wendy, who was patiently waiting for an answer.
"I work for a secret service." He heard himself saying, "for the government." Sure he'd broken the law before but it was close enough, right?

"Oh wow, really?" Her eyes sparkled with sudden amusement. "Tell me more, if you please."

"Well, that's where I know Natasha from," he smiled at the thought of her. "She's really an amazing woman. Really good at her job."

"Really?" Wendy continued, reaching out her hand to grab his, "and what about yourself?"

"Although she doesn't brag, she can be a little cocky but its amusing really. No wonder she has so many gentlemen pining after her." Steve continued, ignoring Wendy's voice.

"Okay..." she raised an eyebrow and let out an awkward giggle. Wendy set her fork down and placed her other hand on top of his. "Are you finished with your food? We could get out of here if you want."

"Yeah, yeah sure." He blinked twice and finally looked at her. "And you know what else, I think what makes me better is knowing that she's watching. I'd do anything to impress her, especially since she could bring a good fight in hand to hand combat."

"Combat?" Wendy questioned, retracting her hands.

"Oh no, just for fun of course." He assured her and smoothed out his shirt. "Shall we call it a night?"

"Yes, I think it's for the best." She deadpanned. As she stood up, Steve leaned in to kiss her cheek but she backed up before he got the chance. "Look, you're a sweet guy, but it's not gonna work out. I'm so sorry."

Steve's smile dropped as she turned to leave, looking back one more time and giving him a weak smile. He sighed and sat back down, just for the waiting to give him the check.

Quick Author's Note:
I know this chapter was short, but I'm going through some writers block for this story and at a bad time too. Sorry, the last couple of chapters weren't very good, but I promise the next one will be longer. Thanks for reading :)