seven - elliot

i look over at kai, who i've realised has been quiet for a while.

"kai?" i ask, trying to get his attention.

we've been sitting in the park for a while, and it was beginning to get dark. i feel something wet drop onto my nose, and i hold my hand out. it's raining.

it didn't rain much here, but when it did, i was usually glad. i loved to sit at my window and listen to the rain. or sit under a tree and read while the rain fell quietly onto the grass around me.

however, we're both outside. meaning we're both going to get soaked if we don't find shelter soon.

kai still hasn't answered, so i place my hand on top of his warm one.

i watch him as he blinks, and then look down at our hands. i can't read his expression, but i guess he doesn't mind, because he doesn't move away.

"your hands are freezing." he states.

i giggle at this, trying to break the seriousness. "yours are warm."

his lips twitch up at this, "let's go home."

we begin getting up and the rain suddenly gets heavier. i let out a quiet yelp after jumping from the wall.

kai's head whips in my direction, and i give him a guilty smile, which he returns with a shy one.

"hurry, kai!" i say, beginning to sprint to a tree. i hear him chuckle from somewhere behind me, and when i reach the tree to stop, he runs into me.

i wobble slightly, putting my hand on kai's shoulder for support (and to make sure he doesn't carry on running into the tree.)

"are you okay?" he asks, out of breath.

i nod in response.

"you wanna stay here or run back to mine?"

i think for a while before saying, "i like it here, for now."

he doesn't answer, but he leans against the tree, and slowly lets himself fall onto the ground. i copy his actions, letting myself slide down the tree.

we sit in silence for a while, watching the rain and every so often the people who are dashing around to find shelter.

he nudges his shoulder against mine before speaking up. "why were you crying?"

"huh?" i say, a little too fast.

when he doesn't answer, i take it that he knows i heard him. i'm at a loss for words, though.

i try to shrug it off, "just a bad day, i guess."

he doesn't look pleased with my answer. and something about his eyes make me want to say more. i don't really know how, or what i want to say. but i know i should say something.

"the truth?" i ask, and he nods. "well, you remember how i used to take the same route to school? and you'd always skate past me, but stop so we could walk together?"

he nods again, but his eyes look sad.

"the reason i stopped going that way is because, uh, there's some guys..." i dont know what to say next.

"what?"

"they'd always tease me or make fun of me, so i just chose to go another way to school, so i didn't have to see them."

i feel his hand on mine.

"and i was crying because they found me again, which means i need to find another route to school."

i watch kai as his eyebrows crease together, "who are they?" he asks, but he doesn't look happy when i shrug in response. "on monday, i'm walking you to school. text me your address and i'll leave early."

my heart skips a beat (or two) kai wants to walk me to school?

"it's okay, kai. i can't ask you to do that."

he only shrugs. "well i'm going to, so."

i can't help but giggle at this and soon, kai joins in with me.

=====

word count: 660
*edited*
please vote!