twenty seven - kai

after a little while of walking, we round a corner to a certain neighbourhood. beside me, elliot seemingly slows down and i sigh knowing how much he dislikes this area, but there's a reason for our visit.

"why are we here?" asks elliot, cautiously.

i sense hurt in his voice, and i feel the guilt sinking in once again. i suddenly get the urge to look at him, and when i do, i feel a pang in my chest. elliot's eyes are glued to the floor and his pace has slowed dramatically.

he definitely didn't want to be here; but i have something to prove to him.

his dark curls bounce lightly as he walks, and a light blush covers his cheeks. i hesitantly reach over and grab his hand, entwining his fingers with my own. i watch in awe as his blush grows, and his eyes flicker to look at me briefly.

i just can't help it, as cliché as it sounds; his skin against mine create sparks which seem to dance around me. and although i know he doesn't feel the same way as i do, i can't ignore the urges i get to touch him.

the simplest contact creates a feeling in my stomach i can't seem to get rid of. and it makes me feel so guilty.

i've tried so hard so ignore it. but then he looks at me and i've fallen into this hole all over again. every time i seem to successfully fight back my feelings; he comes in and messes it up!

i feel helpless, because i would never admit this to sweet little leo. and this act i put on only makes it harder to ignore the fact that i like my best friend.

i keep hoping that if i pretend not to like him the way i do, then maybe it'll just go away.

but the more time i spend with him, the more i doubt my tactics.

"kai?" he says quietly, i realise he's caught me staring.

i feel my cheeks flush, and i quickly drop my eyes to the floor. after a while, i realise where we are.

"we're here."

my hand drops his, immediately growing cold, and i bring it up to knock on the door in front of us. the house is dirty and broken windows litter the walls scruffily. glass scatters around the floor, and the walls are a dirty, but pale shade of peach.

soon, a guy taller than me answers the door with a snarl on his face which seems to disappear when he sees me. his 'usually mean' demeanour fades when he makes sudden eye contact.

i sense elliot shuffle to get behind me, pulling my arm slightly to help hide him. i want to tell him that it's okay, but i stop myself.

instead, i shake my head, letting some sort of false confidence take over. i subtly take a breath, and look up to meet his eyes once more.

"you have something for him?" i ask with a smirk, motioning to the nervous boy behind me.

i feel elliot squeeze my arm, but i don't take too much notice as i watch the guy disappear back into his house.

i can tell elliot wants to say something, probably something along the lines of 'what the hell, kai!'

"watch the hands." i state to elliot, who's now shuffling to stand back next to me.

"what?"

i don't get the chance to repeat myself, because the guy comes back into view; with a letter.

he hands it over, clearly hesitant to do so. i snatch it from him, and nod in his direction, before turning around and beginning to walk away.

when elliot joins me again, he looks a mixture of sad and confused.

my hand immediately finds his, and i squeeze it in hopes of comforting him.

"his hands were blue." he states, dumbfounded. "and his face was... uh- did you beat him up again?"

"no." i quickly state. as to which he only lifts our linked hands up slowly, and turns them over to take look at my knuckles.

small cuts and bruises covers them, and i know that i just can't lie. "yes."

he traces them with his other hand, and a small smile makes its way onto my face. "why?"

"he hurt you, elliot." i pause, "but he won't anymore."

=====

word count: 740
*edited*
please vote!