eight - elliot

i groan, blinking my eyes open a few times. i lift my body up and allow my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the room.

i was previously sprawled out on kai's bed. i have no idea what the time is, but judging by the soft lights coming in through the window, it must be around midnight.

from here, i can hear shouting. i can't make out any of the words, but someone is definitely yelling. that can't be good.

i look around, but see no signs of the blonde boy who i've grown too fond of over the last few days.

my brows crease together, and i squint attempting to find him. when i don't, i get up off his bed and tread slowly over to the door.

i wince when the door squeaks loudly, but shrug it off as i begin walking down the hall. i creep down the stairs, heading for the light switch on the ground floor.

as i flick it on, i notice the yelling is getting worse. someone's crying. and that someone sounds like kai.

i peek around the door, trying to see inside, but all i can see is the back of a tall man. i can tell kai is standing in front of the man, but i can't see him.

i can also tell kai's beginning to get tired, as he isn't yelling anymore. i can make out what they're saying now.

kai's tired voice strains as he says, "get out."

"your mother and i have something to discuss, kai." the man spits.

there's a pause before kai decides to speak again. "it's not fair to me or mom that you keep coming round every few months and try to destruct our lives."

"kai hunter! you do not talk to your-"

"my what?" kai yells, disgusted. "dad? you chose to leave a long time ago. we don't want you here anymore."

the man, who i guess now is his father, sighs very loudly, before stating, "but your mother needs me here."

kai moves around the room, and he comes into view. i dart back behind the door. i silently pray that he didn't spot me.

"please just get out...or i'm going to call the cops because i didn't invite you in."

i quietly manoeuvre around the door, and back up the stairs as i hear footsteps leaving the room.

i can't hear anymore voices, so i get back into kai's bed, and sit up amongst the blankets.

soon, i hear the front door close softly and a sigh from kai. footsteps ascend up the staircase and within seconds, the door opens to kai's room.

i watch him carefully as he steps in, and slowly closes it behind him. he looks at me, and chuckles, before sitting next to me.

"what?" i say, confused as to why he's laughing.

he looks at me, before saying, "nothing."

i shrug, and bury my body under the covers, but kai just sits there. i shiver and grab his arm, pulling him slowly towards me.

at first, he tries to fight it, but soon he's underneath the covers shuffling closer to me.

"you heard everything, didn't you?" he whispers, causing goosebumps to spread around my body.

"only yelling. are you okay?" i whisper back.

kai looks at me with sad eyes, but the pain in them disappears within seconds.

he nods, and pulls me closer to him until i'm flush against his body.
i can feel my cheeks getting warmer when i feel his hot breaths hitting the back of my neck.

i can tell he doesn't really want to talk about it. at least, not right now. so i don't push him. instead, i try to comfort him.

my eyes begin to get heavy, so i willingly close them, but not before whispering, "goodnight, kai."

the breaths on my neck stop for a while. but then he whispers his own, "goodnight, leo."

and as i feel my tired brain begin to switch off, i feel soft lips on my neck. it makes me shiver, although he isn't cold. and i don't know if it was real, or if my mind is too tired to imagine real situations.

but i'm too tired to ask, or think about it and i fall asleep.

=====

word count: 720
*edited*
please vote!