nine - kai

when i wake up, elliot is gone and it looks like he was never here.

i check the time, and realise it's already 1pm. i swing my legs over, standing up from my bed. i straighten the sheets and walk over to my desk, noticing a piece of paper.

in blotted ink and messy writing, is a number. elliot's number.

i grin to myself when i see the little smiley face at the end. i shake my head, amused, and spin around. as i begin to think about our little time together, my mother slips through the door.

"kai, how was your weekend?" she says, trying to smile.

i appreciate the effort, "it was okay."

we stand in silence for a while before she looks down, her small smile dropping immediately.

"there was a note... on the table"

i can tell she's upset. maybe even mad. but i did what i thought was best. and that was to get rid of him. of course she wants to take dad back, but i would never let her make such a bad decision.

i get that it's hard on her. but love can hurt people. and i can't have that.

when i don't respond, she talks again, "from your father."

of course, i already knew who it was from. i'm more upset that i didn't see the note, i would've thrown it away.

"he was drunk, mom." i state, bitterly.

i watch her, as her eyes begin to well up. a hole in my heart immediately forms. guilt.

"what did he want?" she says, trying to act like it doesn't bother her. but it's obvious it does.

i shrug, casually, "i don't know. he left before i let him talk."

lying is one thing i've gotten good at around her.

she nods, and goes to turn around. but i can't help being curious.

"what does the note say?" i ask.

she walks over to me, putting the paper in my hand. i don't move, but i watch as she leaves my room. i bite my tongue, not even reading the note.

instead, i put the note on the desk behind me, and walk over to my dresser. i find a shirt and a pair of jeans, and quickly change into them.

i then slip on my shoes, which were lying in the middle of my floor.

i sigh and pick up the note from my desk, stuffing it into my pocket. i look in the mirror, and run my hands through my hair. when this doesn't fix the mess that lies on top of my head, i rummage through the small pile in the corner of my room.

i pull a black beanie on, and grab my skateboard before walking out of my room and down the stairs.

before leaving, i walk into the kitchen. "i'm going out to skate for a bit."

mom is sitting at the table, texting. she looks up at me to nod, and my eyes drop when i see her tear-stained face.

"where'd you go all weekend?" i ask, trying to casual, but i don't think it worked as she sighs loudly.

"with some friends. are you going to be out long?"

it was typical of her to change the topic. i wondered how much she had been drinking over the weekend, but i can't bring myself to ask.

i shrug, and she sniffs, "okay, well aunt kate's going to be over so you don't have a curfew."

kate wasn't actually my aunt. she was just mom's friend. and my guess is that they're going to be drinking, or going somewhere, (as they always do.)

i sigh, muttering a small, 'okay' before turning around and leaving.

i grab my keys from the side, knowing that they either won't be here to answer the door by the time i get back- or they won't be sober enough.

=====

word count: 670
*edited*
please vote!